Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Timeless Perfection!
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so my hydroboost puked out...is there any maintence on this? or just hold on for the ride until it lets go? How much am I looking at for a fix? It's an 05 but it is the last truck I'll be able to buy in this market. 'dunno;

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
ok so my hydroboost puked out...is there any maintence on this? or just hold on for the ride until it lets go? How much am I looking at for a fix? It's an 05 but it is the last truck I'll be able to buy in this market. 'dunno;
Im sure there is a rebuild kit for it somewhere, but most ive seen just replace them when they fail. The repair is not too difficult, theres some bolts you need to get to from inside the cab that ive been told are the worst part. Removing the lines and such under the hood is not bad at all. I would avoid any products that are designed to prolong its life though, that fluid also goes through your steering pump and steering gear, so any magic goop, if you were debating it, would also go through those working parts as well. It looks like you can pick up a new at least to you hydroboost on amazon for under 300, its listed as an ACDelco.

·
Premium Member
4,538 Posts
It can be replaced easily enough. Most people do not recommend rebuilding them or even a reman unit because there is such a high failure rate for rebuilds.

A new one for newer trucks are still available, but it is necessary to ream out the end of the input shaft so there is some slop where it and the brake light switch attach to the brake pedal. Otherwise your brake lights and cruise control may give you trouble.

I happen to have a new unit for a 2012 that I will sell if you are interested. PM me if you are.

Most also recommend changing the hoses for the HB and power steering while you are at in the older trucks to eliminate future problems

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
It can be replaced easily enough. Most people do not recommend rebuilding them or even a reman unit because there is such a high failure rate for rebuilds.

A new one for newer trucks are still available, but it is necessary to ream out the end of the input shaft so there is some slop where it and the brake light switch attach to the brake pedal. Otherwise your brake lights and cruise control may give you trouble.

I happen to have a new unit for a 2012 that I will sell if you are interested. PM me if you are.

Most also recommend changing the hoses for the HB and power steering while you are at in the older trucks to eliminate future problems

^^ yea, not a bad idea at all, those hoses are maybe 30 bucks or so each, its a good time to change them out. At that point the pump is also pretty easy to do and might be worth considering if its never been done before.

·
Premium Member
4,538 Posts
^^ yea, not a bad idea at all, those hoses are maybe 30 bucks or so each, its a good time to change them out. At that point the pump is also pretty easy to do and might be worth considering if its never been done before.
A man after my own heart, solve a problem before it becomes a PROBLEM! It will also give him an opportunity to look at the Serpentine Belt and change that if needs be.

Recommend an AC Delco pump, New not reman, there too.

Hook em Horns has a very good thread on changing that pump as well.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
A man after my own heart, solve a problem before it becomes a PROBLEM! It will also give him an opportunity to look at the Serpentine Belt and change that if needs be.

Recommend an AC Delco pump, New not reman, there too.

Hook em Horns has a very good thread on changing that pump as well.

Not gonna lie, even with his thread it was a pain in the butt, but there was also 10+ years of dried oil crud around all the bolts so that didnt help. It was beyond time for me to change it on my truck. Dont be me, change it before it gets to be that bad. It should normally be a pretty straight forward repair once the belt and lines are off.

If you do go and decide to replace that pump, you dont need a fancy pulley puller, the 12$ Ford GM one from your preferred flavor of auto parts store works just fine. Also, you should NOT replace the pulley, the aftermarkets are significantly inferior to the OEM pulley. If the pulley is for some reason worn out (which it should not be) get one off a used truck at a junk yard or something, the aftermarket have a tendency to either walk off the shaft, or crack.

Puller should look more or less like this.

·
Premium Member
4,538 Posts
Not gonna lie, even with his thread it was a pain in the butt, but there was also 10+ years of dried oil crud around all the bolts so that didnt help. It was beyond time for me to change it on my truck. Dont be me, change it before it gets to be that bad. It should normally be a pretty straight forward repair once the belt and lines are off.

If you do go and decide to replace that pump, you dont need a fancy pulley puller, the 12$ Ford GM one from your preferred flavor of auto parts store works just fine. Also, you should NOT replace the pulley, the aftermarkets are significantly inferior to the OEM pulley. If the pulley is for some reason worn out (which it should not be) get one off a used truck at a junk yard or something, the aftermarket have a tendency to either walk off the shaft, or crack.

Puller should look more or less like this.

Most auto parts stores here will loan you the puller for free.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you don't rebuild your current one, buy a new 2011 LML hydroboost. Cheaper and they should work better than the previous model years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just replaced mine on my 2005 with a new 2011. Only took a couple hours and I was pissed that it took that long. Some knothead was trying to put the brake switch on backwards. Way better pedal and should have done it sooner!

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Most auto parts stores here will loan you the puller for free.
True, theres some guys on here though that spec a special GM puller for our trucks and say that NOTHING else works so i wanted to make sure we are all on the same page that the cheapo puller available at every auto parts store everywhere works just fine.

·
Premium Member
4,538 Posts
True, theres some guys on here though that spec a special GM puller for our trucks and say that NOTHING else works so i wanted to make sure we are all on the same page that the cheapo puller available at every auto parts store everywhere works just fine.
YES, it HAS to be a GM puller/presser like the one you pictured. That is what they "loaned" me. Actually not a loan, I paid for it and was refunded when I returned it within 24 hours,;angel or if I did not return it in time, I then owned it.'uhNo

It is actually a clever little tool, but I was not able to use it until I had the pump off. Likewise I was unable to get it to work to press the pulley on unless the pump was off the truck.

I did find a little trick that worked for me. When reinstalling the pump I "Hung" it on the center bolt in the front. Then I installed the two side bolts and that lined up the other two front bolts perfectly.

Prior to installing the side bolts no matter how i wiggled and jiggled I could not for the life of me get either of the other front bolts to start.

Also, for the uninitiated, start both the lines on the pump before installing it. leave them loose but with the threads started.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just replaced mine about 1 month ago. Found a seal kit for it ,long story short seal kit was a waste of time. Had to take it off 2x and Ended up just replacing the unit anyway. Save your time and just replace it. Just my experience.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts