Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is getting close for me to change my tranny fluid, the local lube shops wont even touch the tranny? why?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry, i have 2005 lly 5spd ally(STOCK)

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
LOL because they're dumb apparently. it's no different from changing the fluid on any other transmission. Why not do it yourself? Pull the plug, drain, change spin-on, and refill back to full.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay...well this is why I ask..I herd that you hav to put a vac line to drain ALL the fluid out and drop the tranny pan to change the filter in side of it..I have no problem doing it myself but I don't know the procedure to go about changing it and if it isn't done right then you can have permenate tranny damage.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
They all used to think that the pressure was to high for the fancy machine....

·
Registered
2006 Chevy 2500HD CCSB LBZ
2,192 Posts
It is easy, and will take around 8 quarts of Dexron 6, you will need to buy a new spin on, and a internal, internal is easy, drain the fluid via the plug. next drop your pan. the internal filter is right there and pulls off. make sure you get the rubber O-ring off with it. push the new filter in. torque the pan bolts back on. (it's alum, so you don't want to over tighten) put a new spin on, on. and fill her up.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
It is easy, and will take around 8 quarts of Dexron 6, you will need to buy a new spin on, and a internal, internal is easy, drain the fluid via the plug. next drop your pan. the internal filter is right there and pulls off. make sure you get the rubber O-ring off with it. push the new filter in. torque the pan bolts back on. (it's alum, so you don't want to over tighten) put a new spin on, on. and fill her up.
Its so easy a caveman can do it^^^^^ I think someone did a diy on the dp on how to get the old fluid out of the trans cooler also for the complete change of fluid...

·
Registered
676 Posts
I realise that GM says you do not have to change the internal filter, Is it a filter or is it a screen. I guess to be sure I will ask to see the AC Delco filter, at the parts store. Just a thought!

·
Registered
2006 Chevy 2500HD CCSB LBZ
2,192 Posts
it is a suction filter, it is a rectangle about 2 inn thick with a spout out of the top. You really don't have to change it, but it never hurts. Especially if you run her hard.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay can I have a link to that diy? Searched no results. Where would ya recommend getting the filters? Brand?

·
Registered
42 Posts
If your some what mech inclined, do it your self. Its easy. Drain the fluid, take the pan off ( I know allison says not to change the filter, but i do) take out filter. Put new one in put pan back on, put 3 gallons in, dissconnect the upper trans line, stick a clear hose into a bucket. Have some one start it and watch till the new fluid appears, put line back on. Fill to med of the dip stick. Your done, and saved $$$

1 - 14 of 14 Posts