Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, About three weeks ago my truck would shutter at an idle I tried replacing the fuel filter, adding Lucas to the tank etc. Had the same problem so I gave up and took to the dealer. When I got there I put it back to it's stock setting on the programmer it still ran like crap. They had it all day and told me that it needed new injectors so I said ok. They had it for a week. I got it back drove it home and tuned it up it ran fine for about 500 miles and started to run like crap again. After I got mad at the world I calmed down. I called the dealer and got the usual crap bring it in and will look at it. All I could think about was another week without my truck so I started asking around about this problem. I got the same answer from quite a few people deprogram it. I put it back to stock drove it down the road and back put it in park no shutter and it hasn't come back. So what I'm getting at is I guess I did not need injectors but so be it. But now I have the worst turbo lag and my speedometer is off and my transmission won't shift right. How come everybody else can run a programmer with no problem. Is it a Hypertec problem or just me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Well here is my 2 cents...and remember this is just my opinion. I have not really heard great things about the Hypertech programmer....actually I've only ever read problems. And I heard that the 04-05 allison tranny had some shifting issues if you add a programmer. Also I have read nothing but bad, bad, things about K&N air filters sucking in dirt and oil and damaging your engine. Plus with a lift and bigger tires...that will also add a little extra strain on the tranny. So in all...the Turbo Lag...I would say maybe your K&N. The Speedo...bigger tires and lift will def. throw that off.....and Tranny could be damage from programmer and other strains. But remember I don't have facts and this is just what I think....my uncle is a diesel mechanic and he just had a long talk with me about ALOT of stuff tonight...so I'm full of opinions! But I hope everything gets fixed for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am running the hypertech maxenergy in my 06,I have had no problems with it so far.It is currently set to stage 1 as I am on a trip in saucier Miss. for the Cruisin the Coast car show.I ran the stage3 for the last 4 weeks and the only problem is I cant keep my foot off the long pedal.I have 285/75/16 BFG's and she shifts fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an 08 duramax and I am also running the hypertech maxenergy I have had no problems in stage 1 and stage 2 but in stage 3 it really bogs down. I do have a 6" lift and 35" tires im sure it doesnt help but this seems to be a tranny issue almost like its slipping. And after this happens I get a odd smell from underneath. i have been to the dealer they have not noticed any issues but when I am in stage 2 the power is there and dependable. I emailed hypertech and they stated the transmission had to learn the new settings.....Ok then so has anyone else experienced this. Any suggestions for an exhaust kit????

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I have an 08 duramax and I am also running the hypertech maxenergy I have had no problems in stage 1 and stage 2 but in stage 3 it really bogs down. I do have a 6" lift and 35" tires im sure it doesnt help but this seems to be a tranny issue almost like its slipping. And after this happens I get a odd smell from underneath. i have been to the dealer they have not noticed any issues but when I am in stage 2 the power is there and dependable. I emailed hypertech and they stated the transmission had to learn the new settings.....Ok then so has anyone else experienced this. Any suggestions for an exhaust kit????
When you put it into level 3, you are really dumping fuel into the motor and the DPF is taking the brunt of it. The DPF gets clogged up and goes into regeneration mode which heats up the DPF to clean it out (the funny smell you keep smelling).

When you change levels, the transmission has to relearn the power level and will flare for a while until it has learned the power you are throwing at it. This goes for up and down, but is way worse when you are going from a low level or stock to a say level 3.

You have to give it time to learn the power, and the best thing you can do is drive it(city, not highway) so that it can go through all the gears up and down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When you put it into level 3, you are really dumping fuel into the motor and the DPF is taking the brunt of it. The DPF gets clogged up and goes into regeneration mode which heats up the DPF to clean it out (the funny smell you keep smelling).

When you change levels, the transmission has to relearn the power level and will flare for a while until it has learned the power you are throwing at it. This goes for up and down, but is way worse when you are going from a low level or stock to a say level 3.

You have to give it time to learn the power, and the best thing you can do is drive it(city, not highway) so that it can go through all the gears up and down.
Ok this is my first diesel and I had driven about 800 miles or more in stage 3 but when I stepped on it it would bog down so makes sense what you are saying is there a cure for this because it still happened after that much city driving. I have no problems in any of the other stages I first ran stage 2 then went up to 3 after a few hundred miles. I love the power but do not want to risk damaging the truck. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Ok this is my first diesel and I had driven about 800 miles or more in stage 3 but when I stepped on it it would bog down so makes sense what you are saying is there a cure for this because it still happened after that much city driving. I have no problems in any of the other stages I first ran stage 2 then went up to 3 after a few hundred miles. I love the power but do not want to risk damaging the truck. Thanks for the info
Yes, it's called a DPF delete or not running your tuner on level 3. It's the crux of the DPF, or curse:D

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Hey everyone, About three weeks ago my truck would shutter at an idle I tried replacing the fuel filter, adding Lucas to the tank etc. Had the same problem so I gave up and took to the dealer. When I got there I put it back to it's stock setting on the programmer it still ran like crap. They had it all day and told me that it needed new injectors so I said ok. They had it for a week. I got it back drove it home and tuned it up it ran fine for about 500 miles and started to run like crap again. After I got mad at the world I calmed down. I called the dealer and got the usual crap bring it in and will look at it. All I could think about was another week without my truck so I started asking around about this problem. I got the same answer from quite a few people deprogram it. I put it back to stock drove it down the road and back put it in park no shutter and it hasn't come back. So what I'm getting at is I guess I did not need injectors but so be it. But now I have the worst turbo lag and my speedometer is off and my transmission won't shift right. How come everybody else can run a programmer with no problem. Is it a Hypertec problem or just me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
It sounds like you need to have your truck reflashed to stock by the dealer and get rid of the tuner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im guessing you have this item based on the reply. And what are the pros and cons ??

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Im guessing you have this item based on the reply. And what are the pros and cons ??
Well the con is it's illegal...the pro's are way better fuel mileage, better power, lower egt's and a 60# weight loss:D. You have already tuned your truck with a flash tuner, so your warranty is suspect with GM. At that point, taking off the DPF will cause no more warranty issue than tuning your truck with that Hypertech.

I am not condoning this, but many customers have called with excellent results.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I will give you a call monday I have some more questions regarding this. And thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just bought a Hypertech for my sierra denali truck. My problem is that i installed all of the updates from the computer onto the programmer. But once i try to plug it in, nothing turns on. Only thing that is there is a blank screen. I disconnected my amps, train horn, etc. I also disconnected my phone charger. Why is it not working!?!?:help

1 - 13 of 13 Posts