Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use Hypertech tuners? I don't hear anything about them. Are they junk? I want something for fuel economy and not to worried about the hp right now.
Let me have your opinion please....

·
Registered
514 Posts
Does anyone use Hypertech tuners? I don't hear anything about them. Are they junk? I want something for fuel economy and not to worried about the hp right now.
Let me have your opinion please....
Before everyone joined in on the programmer and chip crowd, Hypertech and Superchips were the most recognized. They still make decent products but to me they are behind the rest of the field in the diesel performance area.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Hypertech is a good tuner for the Duramax if you are not looking for big power. Easy to use and decent MPG gains. Predator is also an inexpensive tuner that works well on the duramaxs.

Reactions: 2006blackmax

·
Registered
44 Posts
I use the Hypertech PP3 and am completely satisfied with it. I notice the mpg and HP gain mostly when towing my 10,000# 5er. About 2 mpg improvement and much better performance in the mountains, and since I live in BC, I do a lot of mountian towing.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya. I have a buddy that's running one in a 05' Chevy. Claims he gets 21mpg running 80 mph. Kinda hard to believe tho'.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ya. I have a buddy that's running one in a 05' Chevy. Claims he gets 21mpg running 80 mph. Kinda hard to believe tho'.
I suspect this would be the DIC reading which is not correct with a programmer installed. I'll get in the 20's but only if stay at 70 or below, and no major hills or city driving.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, Probably a good assumption.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm pretty happy with it, been running it for about 3 months, on all 3 levels. Had my truck on the dyno a few times now. With the tune (only dyno'd stage 1 and 3 due to time constraints) the torque/hp curves shift to the right, so it actually reduces total torque/hp up to around 2200rpm. Then the power curves intersect and the tuned curve spikes way up. So, like everyone says, if you drive it like a granny you'll see the mpg gains, if you get into it you'll see the tq/hp gains. Don't have anywhere to host the pics, but I can upload dyno data to support if you want.

·
Registered
103 Posts
tdaf2011- Are the tunes on all three stages pretty clean in terms of smoke? Also, is the power noticeable over stock? Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine rarely smokes at all w or w/o tunes, granted I'm putting out less than 400 hp. You can feel that kick in the pants if you really get into it once the turbo spools up, usually around 1900-2300 rpm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts