Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I’ve owned my truck for 8 years now and have learned when the fuel light comes on I still have 6 gallons left. (Also researched this forum to learn the 26gal tank has a very conservative low fuel light).
Anyways, yesterday I’m pulling our 5th wheel out camping and fuel light went on but I’m only 15 miles from camp so I decided to just finish the trip and planned to refuel after.
we start up the last hill before getting to the camp ground and then the CEL comes on, moments later I lose all power. Was fortunate enough to have a good spot to pull off. So get to the side of the road checked gauges, checked for leaks etc and then tried to take off again. Wouldn’t power over 1k RPMs (but was idling fine) so I shut it down.
Long story short knowing my fuel light had just come on I had some fuel brought out to me. Found the primer above the fuel filter was soft so pumped it firm after adding 4 gallons and started back up. Let idle for awhile then tried taking off and truck ran fine.
Got to camp and after about 4 cycles of the ignition unloading, moving trailer etc the CEL cleared itself.
So...I’m left feeling like a [email protected]$$ for running out of fuel. Assume the CEL was low fuel rail pressure or something similar, and I think I’m good to go now. (I do plan to go get it scanned to know for sure)
However, curious if I should be weary of anything moving forward? What damage could I have caused?
Lesson learned and I’ll never do that again.

·
Registered
572 Posts
No light and running fine, you are good. Not a good idea to let tank get that low, sucks up all the dirt

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: West1134

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! Yeah I feel beyond stupid. I know better but felt like we could make it. It was dumb and I’ll never do that again.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:

After my initial dumbassery and the CEL code self clearing, the truck ran fine during my vacation, and got us back home towing the 5th wheel without issue, including going over a couple mountain passes. I dumped a decent amount of Diesel Kleen in the tank to ensure good lubrication should I have pulled up any dirt/debris from the tank when I ran it low.

Now the interesting thing was as stated in my original post, when the low fuel light comes on I still have about 6 gallons left. Upon filling up the tank after getting my trailer off the side of the road and delivered to my campsite, it only took 18 gallons. Taking into consideration the 4 gals brought to me on the side of the road, and the likely 1 gal burned getting to camp, moving it to park the trailer etc, that means my original math was not wrong. I still had approx 6 gals of fuel left.

So, while I've just learned never to do that again, I do wonder if it was the higher elevation (4500 ft) sloshing fuel in the tank with it being empty, or just the fact I'm pulling weight up a hill that requires a fuller tank to ensure its being delivered to the truck appropriately that caused this issue??

Reactions: shotgunwillie69

·
Registered
373 Posts
The fuel went to the rear of the tank as you drove up the hill and it starved the fuel system. The 4 gallons you had brought out to you was enough to keep fuel over the inlet to the supply even while you were on the hill. I would wager on flat ground you wouldn't have had any issue.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If possible never ever let your tank get below 1/3 - 1/2 tank as the fuel also cools the fuel pump. This also applies to gas vehicles with in tank fuel pumps. I know when traveling it can be a pain to keep it that full but it is ok to not do it all the time but for general driving try to keep it 1/3 - 1/2 full or so.
Also run diesel additive in your tank on every fill. The diesel nowadays is junk with no lubrication for the pump and injectors.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The fuel went to the rear of the tank as you drove up the hill and it starved the fuel system. The 4 gallons you had brought out to you was enough to keep fuel over the inlet to the supply even while you were on the hill. I would wager on flat ground you wouldn't have had any issue.
Totally makes sense. One of those experiences to learn from.

If possible never ever let your tank get below 1/3 - 1/2 tank as the fuel also cools the fuel pump. This also applies to gas vehicles with in tank fuel pumps. I know when traveling it can be a pain to keep it that full but it is ok to not do it all the time but for general driving try to keep it 1/3 - 1/2 full or so.
Also run diesel additive in your tank on every fill. The diesel nowadays is junk with no lubrication for the pump and injectors.
Just my 2 cents.
Yeah typically I do try and never let it get down past 1/4 tank. I'll be honest, this was our first real time outside our house in over 3 months due to COVID, and with two young children (1 & 3) I was just eager to get to a change of scenery, go offline, and start a vacation as working from home has some perks, but it is also taxing, especially in my line of work (IT guy). I also try and run Diesel Kleen frequently. I def don't do it each fill up, but absolutely when pulling, and then sprinkle it in from time to time. I should do it more often though.

Reactions: shotgunwillie69
1 - 7 of 7 Posts