Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For lots of years I have owned big block one-ton duallys for towing. As we are heading into retirement, I have been working toward a rig we can really enjoy. I bought the toy hauler, which was nice but not the answer. Then I bought a 43' long horse trailer with LQ and space to sleep 5. My big block was not too happy with me so I started looking into alternatives.

I decided to try to get a crew-cab Topkick, which has space, big brakes, Allison transmission and a Duramax. Last week I landed one through an auction in Salt Lake City. It is a Monroe package truck, which has never been crashed or salvaged. The title was clean, but no plates. I guess that is why they offer one-way trip passes or 96 hr. passes.

I drove it to California, with generally no problems. Well okay, it had a bad coolant pressure cap. $10, big deal and about $60 of dex-cool style coolant. I was really surprised how much it drives like a pickup truck, but really tall. I even park it in regular parking spaces at the store. So now I will strip off the ladder rack and tool boxes. That will leave a nice hay bed with a B&W gooseneck hitch. I will also dress up the interior. I have a lot to learn about improving the performance of the diesel, but that is the new adventure. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks
Right Front.jpg

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wow, really unique! What year is the chassis? That will determine which Duramax generation it has, and will help guide you on some of the recommended upgrades and known issues to watch for.

Cosmetically, some chrome caps on those front & rear dually wheels would look awesome if you can find a reasonably priced set. :cool:

·
Finally! Wheels on!
9,765 Posts
Congrats. The extra weight and bigger brakes will be a big benefit. I would not mod much for performance and instead stay focused on longevity.

Regardless of the generation, I would be looking at a lift pump and filtration, maybe cleaning the cooling stack and basic maintenance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Banks Super Scoop, Banks Rear Dif Cover, Mechman 320A alternator, S&B fuel tank
23 Posts
Congratulations! I love those trucks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts