Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I got a dsp5 switch with 400hp/500hp/600hp/1200rpm/stock tunes. My tranny is rebuilt here in Norway in one of the two shops that are recommended from the Duramax guys over here. So we set it to 600hp and went for it.. it’s really fast with no trouble in the tranny and the engine seemed like was doing great! The tune has around 520-530rwhp I would think. There where some black smoke that’s for sure but not near the worst I’ve seen :) So stock motor, stock fuel, stock turbo, 4” exhaust, boost value making engine HP.. can that be safe??

·
Registered
143 Posts
It’s as safe as long you keep your foot out of it haha and saying it’s feeling like 520-530 then I’d guess you’ve been in a truck around that range an know how it feels? From all my experience your getting close to tapping out the turbo an sticks, not all the way but your playing with fire depending on how old an used your motor is at the moment, of course a few here have hit closer to 600 but it’s luck of the draw an they can probably afford a new motor when it hits the fan from pushing it so hard

·
Registered
143 Posts
Oh also is your trans built for the power or just rebuild with new stock? Cause a brand new fresh build of all stock will only waste your money once you turn the power up

·
Premium Member
2,688 Posts
With everything associated with the engine being stock, I would say no, having a tune making that much HP is going to break something at some point.

Having spent a great deal of time in the northern parts of Norway and some in Oslo, I just have to ask why would you build a truck like that given the prices of diesel throughout Europe and the smallish roads in Norway? Just curious.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh also is your trans built for the power or just rebuild with new stock? Cause a brand new fresh build of all stock will only waste your money once you turn the power up
It’s built stronger that stock and the shop rated it to hold 600hp and 1800nm. But much more than that I don’t know. But it seems fine, and I don’t use the 600hp tune a lot anyway and I use it with care.. not driving like a mad man haha

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With everything associated with the engine being stock, I would say no, having a tune making that much HP is going to break something at some point.

Having spent a great deal of time in the northern parts of Norway and some in Oslo, I just have to ask why would you build a truck like that given the prices of diesel throughout Europe and the smallish roads in Norway? Just curious.
The reason is simply that I love the trucks and it not my daily truck :) So it’s more like a cruise truck :) and yes the roads are small but it’s okay

1 - 6 of 6 Posts