Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just drove my first diesel a 95 chevy 6.5 turbo diesel felt very solid smoother than i thought for a diesel i am now looking for my own diesel truck i have about 18-22k to spend i need it to tow my 6 atv's and to get decent mpg ive been doing research on the ford,dodge,chevy which is the most reliable of these three

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
They are all about the same. I would just go with the total package that you like. (I am GM biased) I think each of the trucks have their own problems, and it is hit and miss on what you buy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i really like the way the ford looks but ive heard they have bad transmissions and get shitty gas mileage the dodge is a little out of my price range right now and they are really noisy but i haveant really heard anything bad about the duramaxe's so what im asking what kind of problems have you guys experienced with your trucks and what kind of mpg are getting on the hwy and city beacuase diesel is 3.49 where i live

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
If you are going to buy a diesel just for mileage, then you probably shouldn't get it. (I know this isn't the case though) There is a wide variance in mileages that people get with their trucks. My friend has a 02 F350 with the 7.3 engine in it and he gets just the same mileage that I do with my 04 GMC sierra 2500HD with LB7 engine. We both have 285/75-16s on. Driving unloaded on the highway (or what they call it here in AK) I get about 18-19 MPG. When I tow my friend's 24' enclosed trailer with 4 snowmachines, I have gotten 10-14MPG. The only difference in mileage came from the difference in temps outside. If you were to get a GM truck, I would go with an 03 or 04 with the LB7 engine. The LLY engines are hit and miss with overheating problems. The only problem that the LB7 engine has had is injectors. They are covered to 200,000 miles on a case by case basis. As far as the Fords, as long as you get one that doesn't have the 6.0, you shouldn't have to worry about tranny problems.

·
Registered
73 Posts
pugads650 said:
so the 7.3 fords dont have transmission problems
that is incorrect.....the 7.3 fords have a 4r100(e4od) tranny in them and if they are not maintained at the reccomended level....they tend to have problems....the weak link is the torque converter......and i would reccomend an aftermarket one if you purchase a 7.3......that will make the tranny solid and you will probably never have a problem if it is maintained well......

the 6.0 diesel is out of your price range. DO NOT buy a 03 or early build 04 6.0 ford....they are nothing but a problem.....the late build 04-06 ones are considerably better but thats getting too new to be in your price range..........but the trannies in the 6.0 fords are called the torqueshift......and i have not seen any failures in our shop since the reverse planitary recall that fixed the one and only issue we have seen with them.... and the GM guys dont like to hear this....but its an allison built and designed tranny.....the only reason ford cant advertise this is chevy beat them to the advertising rights for light duty truck applications (anything under a one and three quarter ton truck........the f-650 is fords one and three quarter)...........Marc

·
Registered
269 Posts
The duramax is a good engine. I just don't like the trucks just don't look "heavy duty" .... They just look like half-tons with different wheels and a little more suspension. My uncle has an 02 chevy hd with a 6.0 gasser, crew cab short bed. I've ridden in it several times working with him in the front and the back seats. It's nowhere near as roomy feeling as my crew cab f250. I've caught my feet countless times getting out of the back seats on the plastic that covers the mounting brackets and stuff for the seat. If you want mileage, go for the cummins. Just get a manual with it, or if you get an auto don't get a chip. If I could have the cummins engine in my Ford, i'd never buy another vehicle. My second choice is what I have...my 7.3.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts