Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have owned a 2015 Denali Hd for 180k, i am looking at getting android auto or some type of upgrade. I have been doing some research on options but i am kinda lost.

The first option i looked up was an aftermarket head unit, but seems there is issues with steering wheel controls.

Second option i looking at was reprogramming my factory system. But I am at a total loss on that as well?? I was talking to the folks over at MWi, but seems to use their service i need to replace all of my radio components anyways??

I have the proper RPO codes and part numbers they are looking for but seems they still wont work?

Some other reading I had done was updating the USB cord in the dash and buying the new 2.5 HMi module??

A little help, and some experience on the topic would be awesome.

Cheers
Caleb

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Well, I have owned a 2015 Denali Hd for 180k, i am looking at getting android auto or some type of upgrade. I have been doing some research on options but i am kinda lost.

The first option i looked up was an aftermarket head unit, but seems there is issues with steering wheel controls.

Second option i looking at was reprogramming my factory system. But I am at a total loss on that as well?? I was talking to the folks over at MWi, but seems to use their service i need to replace all of my radio components anyways??

I have the proper RPO codes and part numbers they are looking for but seems they still wont work?

Some other reading I had done was updating the USB cord in the dash and buying the new 2.5 HMi module??

A little help, and some experience on the topic would be awesome.

Cheers
Caleb
I can't offer you any advice but I suggest you actually try Android Auto on another car/truck first and make sure it's really what you want. I got fed up with the fact that only certain apps have Android Auto interfaces which means that the rest (including Youtube Music, last I checked) can't be used via the truck's touchscreen. I gave up on it and just mount my phone to the dashboard and use the phone's touchscreen for apps/navigation.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Believe you need a new radio module, HMI 2.5, & 2.5 USB. They have to be programmed to your VIN.
Seeing a you're in Canada, I can PM you a place in BC that does all that. You can give the guy a call & he'll tell you exactly what is required.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Believe you need a new radio module, HMI 2.5, & 2.5 USB. They have to be programmed to your VIN.
Seeing a you're in Canada, I can PM you a place in BC that does all that. You can give the guy a call & he'll tell you exactly what is required.
thank you, covid has really screwed up shipping so keeping it all in Canada is great. Would gladly take his number!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just replaced my head unit for the exact same reason. Currently using the new stereo and android auto.
Bought the entire kit from Crutchfield and did the work myself.
I'm in the United States, but I'm certain Crutchfield will ship to you in Canada. It was very easy to do the swap. Instructions were included and the website suggested all the parts I would need.
One tip however, the controller that is suggested supports engine monitoring, but the head unit I bought doesn't. So if you want some rudimentary monitoring of engine parameters, make sure you choose a head unit that supports the feature.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.