Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to get my truck inspected and it failed due to the parking brake. I brought it home and tried to adjust it but it still wouldn't hold. The pads were looking a little rusty and the passenger side would stick. (coudln't take off the rotor after I released the parking brake)

I replaced the parking brake pads on both sides, along with the hardware. I adjusted the adjuster until I could just barely get the rotor on. Put it all back together and it still won't hold.

When I first started it wouldn't hold the truck on a hill in neutral. Now it will hold it in neutral but if you put it in gear it starts rolling with ease.

So what else could it be? The pedal goes all the way to the floor easily. Is there a such thing as a loose cable? Is there a way to adjust the cable? Or maybe even the pedal? Maybe I need to replace the cable? Thanks in advance for any information. BTW this is a 2004 2500HD with the two part parking brake pads.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nevermind...those directions are unclear.

Parking Brake Cable Adjuster Enabling

View attachment 1024757

1. Hold the park brake pedal in the FULL upward position.

1. Pull rearward on the front park brake cable until the tension is released from the tool (1) installed in the pedal assembly.
  2. Remove the tool (1).
  3. Slowly release the park brake cable until it returns to its original position.
  4. Release the park brake pedal.
  5. Lower the vehicle.
  6. Apply and release the park brake pedal 3 times.

There are two step 1's. :(
The first step 1 says to have it in the FULL upward position. On mine I don't have to do anything to be in the full upward position. When the parking brake is not engaged it is already full upward. I do see the hole to put my screw driver in.

I put my screwdriver in the hole. Reached under the truck (under the driver door), and pulled on the cable (towards the rear of the truck). There never was tension on the screwdriver so there wasn't a way to pull on the cable until tension was released from the screwdriver. Either way I pulled the cable as far as I could, then removed the tool. I slowly let the cable go back to its original position.

Then it tells me to release the parking brake pedal. I am not sure what this means as the pedal was not depressed and there is nothing to "release".

I pumped the parking brake pedal 3 times and it was still the exact same as it was before.

Not sure where to go from here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts