Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was crawling abound under my "new to me" 2001 Duramax Chevy 4x4 and I found what looks like epoxy on the crankcase in front of the oil pan:confused: . It is in the area where the tie rod sits. It covers the entire area and looks to be 1/4" thick. I am guessing this is not supposed to be there, but if someone could tell me that it is I would feel MUCH better. If I was a betting man i would say that a previous owner cracked the case and used a liquid steel to patch it. On the plus side my oil pressure is good. Any help would be great.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Sounds like a ******* fix to me. I don't recall having any epoxy under mine. That sure does suck that someone would do that and then sell the vehicle. It's too bad you can't prove the dealer knew about it before he sold it to you. Although, the dealer may be able to go after the guy that traded it in....having epoxy would mean that he knew about it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
my friend who works at a GM dealership got his a$$ chewed because he took to trade ins and later during inspection they found that both of the trucks had the crankcase fixed the way u described.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think that the part that is patched is the oil pan. The best I can tell it has a 2 piece pan. One is cast and the other is stamped sheet metal. The cast one is the one that has been repaired. Was the cast pan a problem point for these trucks? Since others have been repaired this way it makes me wander. Also can I change just that part or is it tied into the block? Does anyone offer an aftermarket pan for the Dmax? And has anyone ever removed one? I think I may have to drop the front axle assembly?

THANKS!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've got That stuff on my pan too. I'ts not saposed to be there?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could you try to take a pic of your pan? I am wandering if it is the same as mine. Also have you had yours since new or did you get it preowned?

·
Registered
10 Posts
pan goop

I bought mine used at a place in burbank california.send me your email address and I'll send you a picture

·
Registered
30 Posts
anyone take it to the dealer to find out whats up? if dmax's are prone to pan failures i'm glad i dont have one. but seriously any new's???

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took mine in for an alignment and asked the tech to check it out. He smiled and before I even told him what I was concerned about he said if you're talking about the epoxy on the pan....yes I have seen it before, even on NEW trucks.

This made me feel somewhat better. Now the question is WHY is it there? And why only on just SOME??

Also the photo that Steve sent me is just like the stuff on mine...same brush strokes and all. What is the odds that the same ******* fixed one in Tennessee and in Cali??

·
Registered
352 Posts
Maybe try swaping serial numbers and figure out what trucks its on, does the epoxy job look professionally done or a hack job?

·
Registered
350 Posts
That is normal. it's applied at the factory. If i remember correctly it's there for protection and to help retain some heat for the oil

·
Registered
139 Posts
Take a look at your intake runners. On those you will see sealant squished out between them and the heads. Does it look like the same stuff? If so it may just be AC Delco engine sealant. I'm not underneath my truck right now, but I think mine has got the same stuff.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Subscribed. As my oil pan seeps,too. Should have pulled the motor and fixed that when I did my head gaskets, but I didn't have the means to.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
^hey, at least people are using the search function :drink

·
Registered
139 Posts
:cookoo[1]:Wow, lol. Just seen that

1 - 16 of 16 Posts