Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody tell me where the DPF filter loading is? I have looked all over and the only thing I can find is the differential pressure but nothing that says DPF filter loading or percentage. The manual says it is there but this is a brand new one and maybe they replaced the reading? Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have idash 1.8 on a '19.

Mine is called "dpf reg %". It goes into regen a few moles after this gets to 100. It is in the "emissions" category on the pid list.

There is also a "soot loading" pid but it is not useful.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Collins" thanks for the information, on my way to work this morning I looked again and I still don't see it. I did the 1.18.1 update and now I'm wondering if it has been replaced. I thought I saw a turbo speed too and now that's gone. I might have to call Banks and see if they changed something on the last update on my next day off, not until Friday though.... I do appreciate the info!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Mine is a warranty replacement gauge that I installed mid-September. I am running the 1.18.1 software also that I downloaded about 10/9.

My gauge came with 4 of the 5 displays already built by Banks. I suppose they think these stock displays include the info most people want. But you can go thru the settings and load up to 8 pieces of data on each display, and you can pick and choose which PID's you want using the "gauge select" option in the menue.

Don't take offense at this, but are you looking for the DPF status in the displays it came with, or are you going all the way back to the full list of PID's behind the "gauge select" menu option??? Again no offense, but it's odd that you have the same truck and software but don't have the same PID's. The full PID selection is in categories, and DPF reg % is under "Emissions". Mine even has DEF tank level, temperature, and concentration!

ANOTHER THING to check is the Set Up menue. You have to tell the gauge what vehicle and engine you have before it will work right, and in my experience it doesn't ask for the set up to be completed when you first install and power up a new gauge.

If all else fails, call them - I've found them to be very helpful. They've even sent me custom software revisions before. Their option to leave your number and have them call you back works well, better than staying on hold for an hour. They've always called me back in 45-60 minutes or so. Have your S/N ready.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No offense taken on my end, I kinna feel stupid with the questions. I looked on their website and downloaded the graph/chart of all the readings for the L5P and what they are all called. I really think when I get another chance to really sit down and know what I'm looking at, I will figure it out. If not I will get a hold of Banks and see what they say.

What is the "custom software revision" you got? Also I am only using the iDash for information, I don't have a Derringer in my truck. Part of me wants one and the other is just leave it alone. I have always tuned my cars/trucks in the past (look at my signature) and now I think I'm actually done with it. My truck has plenty of power for what I do which is street drive it to work and back.

BTW nice truck you have there!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I originally bought an Edge gauge when I got the truck a year ago but they did not offer a PID that was useful for exhaust filter monitoring. I sold the Edge here on the forum and bought the I-Dash. This first I-dash I got showed an EGT1 temperature that was 2-3-400 degrees cooler than the rest of the exhaust system. I still had the Edge at that time, so I made identical test runs using each gauge and took pix of the screen showing the EGT1 difference and e-mailed it to Banks. Their reply said "....our engineers think they have found your problem...." and attached 12 separate files to the E-mail for me to download. That fixed the problem.

I got a warranty replacement on this first gauge because it would fail to come on when the engine was started about 30% of the time. The new gauge they sent me came with 1.17 rev software, and ironically it had this same problem with EGT1 temperature. They had 1.18.1 rev available on their website, and I installed that and that fixed my EGT1 temperature reading again.

I bought these solely to monitor exhaust filter status and regens. I live in a town that has a redlight every 500 feet and a regen in my normal in-town driving is simply not possible. I got the "keep driving" message at less than 500 miles on the truck. So now at least I know where I stand, and every 5-6 days I drive it to the next town and back to complete the regen.

PRO TIP: They told me to go back and re-build each gauge on each screen every time you update the software. IF you don't, some of the PID's might not actually update.

If you haven't told the gauge what OEM/Engine you have, I'll bet that's your problem. My first gauge listed this as the GM / 6.6L diesel, but the second gauge actually had an L5P option in the menue. And I think the instructions say you need to define the OEM/engine while it is running.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I assume I can go to the setup menu and check the engine? I remember putting in 6.6l and that was it. No GM no anything else...

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
I had the DPF % in my idash and then did the last update and all many of the options for monitoring parameters disappeared ...

I did a hard reset and they all came back...

I haven't emailed Banks about this yet planning to...

Pics before update and after update

Attachments

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, last question, how do you do a hard reset?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Bullseye21, just curious if you got this figured out?

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah those points were NOT there, I had a DFPDP but I took that reading off and then the other 2 you told me about showed up.... Not sure what was going on there but now it is working as you described. Thank you for the help Collins.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Great! Here's some other data that might interest you, and all of this will fit on one screen (8 data points are possible on one screen).

In the Emissions menu:
Exhaust filter status -- tells you if regen is "on" or "off".
Regen miles - miles of last cycle
regen minutes - minutes in last cycle
(with miles and minutes, you can calculate average speed of that regen cycle. I've been told the filter is designed to work best when average speed is above 30 MPH)

I also monitor EGT4 under the Temperature menu, which is temperature in the exhaust filter. You can watch the regen temperatures go up to between 1000 and 1150F, which gives you an idea of how to pick driving conditions to get the best filter clean out. I've found a speed/gear combination that gets it above 2000 RPM's for the 20 mile regen will yield better results (cleaner filter at end of cycle).

EGT4 will also show you when you are probably in passive regen. Towing a trailer typically, or climbing long hills. I've seen 500 solo and 650 pulling our 8K trailer --- passive regen happens somewhere around 600F

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the emission menu, I will probably make another page for just that information. I didn't know there were two different regens? I assumed they were all the same. Mine seems to do a regen just about every 400 miles or so. I drive 19 miles each way to work and if it doesn't finish when I get to work it does on the drive home.

·
Registered
189 Posts
At the risk of starting a forum debate that is waaay out of proportion, here is what I understand about regens:

There are 2 different kinds of regens - active and passive.

Passive just means that you happened to get the DPF hot enough to start burning up some of the soot. It's purely based on how hot you get it by however you are driving and has nothing to do with the computer. Pulling our 8K trailer up a 8% grade that's 5 miles lone in east tennessee will do it (almost 700F). It starts to occur, and stops occuring, based on the temperature of the filter EGT4. It's a freebie. I don't normally see the Banks soot loading data go down, but it will quit going up during that time and then wait longer than normal to start climbing again. The banks meter continues to show "off" under regen status.

The other one is ACTIVE regen where the computer commands the engine to start the active regen cycle by 3 different ways:

1. Computer monitors driving history, fuel consumption, miles since last regen, and other stuff as well as the main item of pressure drop across the filter. When the computer program meets whatever the limits are it will command an active regen. Your Banks meter will show "on or active" for regen status. Even if all your miles are hot, hard, highway towing miles I understand it will command it after 800 or so miles regardless of the readings and data.

2. The dealer can initiate a mobile regen by giving a command to the computer. Then when you pick up the truck it will immediately be in regen and you'll have to find a 20 mile stretch of highway. YOU can also use your Banks meter to start a mobile regen yourself whenever you need to --- go to Diagnostics, mobile regen, and enter. It will then go into regular regen AFTER THE NEXT TIME IT IS SHUT OFF AND RESTARTED. I've found that mobile regens that I command from the Banks meter are much hotter and finish up much cleaner than the regular ones.

3. The dealer can also initiate a stationary regen by giving it a command to the computer. You can do this also from the Banks by going to Diagnostics, stationary regen, and enter. I understand the menu might walk you thru several steps after that. In the stationary regen, it basically commands the engine to rev up to 2,000 rpm's sitting still and runs like that for 20 minutes to regen while sitting still. I've heard this is very intense and I've never done it before. Your Banks manual will list several conditions that have to be met to do this -- at operating temperature, hood open, over half tank of fuel, soot loading has to be above 80% (I think), and maybe some others.

I've initiated several mobile regens especially pulling the trailer. Example: 25 miles outside of a town you have to drive thru with 25 red lights and loading is at 80%, you know you are going into regen somewhere in that town and won't be able to complete the regen for a long time, so I go ahead and kick it off so it's finishing up when I get there.

Let the games begin.

Reactions: DirtyBranflakes
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.