·
Needs more go fast
12,518 Posts
dont see a problem other then it cuts down the engine life

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are you saying just because i used up 9 hrs of its life or does it hurt it?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Why would you do that? If you do get hi idle. If a turbo fails or radiator hose busts your gonna have troubles......

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
WHY would you want to do that?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Good point ^^^

Why haha Block heater is nice too. That or buy a generator

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im going out to our motocross lease and i dont have camper and its going to be like 40 all night. Guess im not going to anymore...

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im going out to our motocross lease and i dont have camper and its going to be like 40 all night. Guess im not going to anymore...

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
40? Man thats warm. Pitch a tent and a air mattress inside and a good sleeping back and your set!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
How about a sleeping bag? :rof Haha, JK. I have read many different opinions on idling for extended periods. I try not to let mine idle any more thanjust warmongup, cooling down and being out of the truck for a few minutes. Some say it will wash cylinder walls down.

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol. i gotta invest in a tent again. mine was destoyed by wind blowing hot adhes on mine. its got holes all over it...

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
and by the way. I only go out in cold weather to get in a blind. Im from texas.

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
I sleep in mine whenever I need to... I don't worry about the idle times BUT I do maintenance as if I were on a severe duty schedule.Once in a while will not hurt it,I have idled it 6-8 hours a few times,as said though make sure your hoses and belt is in good shape.I always open the hood and prop the hood up on a soda can or whatever I have on hand:)
the only worry I would have is wet stacking/piston wash

·
Registered
794 Posts
I've idled mine plenty for lengths of time...mostly cause I'm napping for a few hours at a rest area and it's cold. Last year I got stuck on I-40 west behind a multi-car and tractor trailer wreck because of snow and ice. Truck idled for 10 hours while I sat and slept over night.

I'ts a diesel so it's probably no big deal. I've seen Peterbilts. Kenworths, etc... idle constantly over night.

There have been trips where my engine has not turned off for over 24 hours. Driving and napping. I never worry about it. She's a beast!

·
Registered
546 Posts
My truck has idled for hours on end. When i was working up in Wyoming -30* it would idle most of the day. I know Pipeline Inspectors that never turned there trucks off during the day. They would start them up at 5 in the morning and not shut them down till 7 or 8 that night. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
760 Posts
40? Man thats warm. Pitch a tent and a air mattress inside and a good sleeping back and your set!
Get the right sleeping bag and 40 ain't nothing. Or... bring the lady friend.

·
Registered
272 Posts
X2^!!! :) it looks like most of these guys haven't had a problem doping it, id say go for it and let us know how she does!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Realistically, it won't hurt it. Like others said, diesels are meant for this. Semis etc let them run all day and night. I know a guy who lets his run if he goes to a ball game. He never shuts his off. I wouldn't worry, but put the purse down and grab a sleeping bag. jk lol.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts