Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello im new to the forum and having some issues,

I have a 2003 2500HD LB7 and I just installed 8 new injectors 2 weeks ago. After I finished I found a few fuel leaks, fixed them and went to work. When I pulled into work my truck shut off. I got it started to make it home after work, fixed another leak, went to work after that and it died again. when i went it leave and i got it started and had to have it put on a trailer to get home. well i got it home and started it took ether to start it (even tho i am not fond of the idea of ether in diesels) i had to get it started. now it idles and has a surge every now and then. I let it idle and rev up and down to test for stuff for about an hour yesterday. When i came home tonight it started up fine but has a pretty good surge going on. i used my cheapo scanner to check my frp ( fuel rail pressure) at idle im getting flutation betqeen 5515-6755 some times lower. and when i rev it up to about 1500-2000 then let out it drops to 4246frp and last night did it as low as 3982 i belive.

edit: i forgot to add that i noticed the other day when i took fuel filter housing out of the truck, i noticed fuel under the tank dripping where the fuel cooler and the tank in that little space there is a line that runs from the top of the tank to a fuel line coupler ( closest to bed) it has a drip every now and then but i cant make it do it to call it a flow line or a return line.

thank you so much for taking the time to read this long post.
Doug

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
I swear, if I have to try figure out one more of these run-on sentence/paragraphs, my head will explode!

sorry man, wish I could help.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
I had a similar problem with mine. Mine was the fuel pressure regulator. I hadn't done any work prior to the problem happening, but the FPR fixed mine, and many others that have an lb7 on here. FYI

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
410 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Is there a way to test the fpr
I just used the desired vs actual fuel rail pressure PIDS on my scanner and saw the actual bouncing up and down 800 psi or so. Te actual was staying steady. I replaced it and all is well now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This evening when I got home, I plugged the truck in and noticed smoke coming from the headlight area on the passenger side, popped up the hood and noticed it coming from exhaust manifold area and it smells of diesel fuel but no drip marks. It Opp the loping only does it when started but when you take off its fine even at a stop. I'll find a way to test the frp soon

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Looking at what you posted in the first post, I'd say your FRP is bad. That's about the only reason that the idle will surge like you are describing. Hope you get it squared away soon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts