Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need a re-tune?

So here's my situation, I'm getting a v2 and 5 tunes from rob in a month or two but after I wanna save up to free up the restrictions (downpipe, up pipes, manifolds, boost tubes, intercooler, etc.) do I need to tune down because of my stock tranny or just get lower HP tunes? I was pondering these things and I'm very curious lol.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
I believe your stock tranny will restrict you the most. I dont think the allison can handle much over 100hp extra. If that's all you get from Rob, even the hard parts you mentioned won't effect the tune. You will still only be able to handle the 100hp.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Those other parts will help heep the temps down tho!

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
are you asking if putting those parts on is gonna require you to turn the tuning down to save your trans? if so then no, those parts might give you 10hp

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whew! Alright cool, cause my plans were to do tuning first before anything, then make my truck breathe, then hold off on any other mods for a year or two to save up for trans. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Sounds like a good plan! Just KEEP your tuning to what your stock trans can handle, and your EGT's should be ok, while you save up for the ad on's. If you get EFI Live from any professional like Idaho Rob at ATPTrucks, or Nick at DuramaxTuner, they can change your tunes to accomidate your mods later for free! -unless it's a serious mod-

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice! I thought they would charge lol, but I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks!:thumb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts