Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my situation...

08 Sierra crew cab z71, new brake booster, new tcase, new steering (everything including gear box) rear axle seals, new factory radio and speakers, everything works except the parking sensors and the adjustable foot pedals... Literally no other issues.

Paid off, 258K on the clock.

Now, I could take 30k and do one of two things. buy a newer truck, still diesel, few less miles, a bit more comfortable (those newer trucks ride so much nicer), or take that same 30k and throw it into a rebuild as best as it will buy.....

So the question is, which would you chose? Newer truck? Or 30K budget rebuild? If you choose rebuild what would you do?

I don't care much for tuning other than maybe deleting to get better fuel mileage? I don't pull too heavy and am not looking to build a race truck. What does the hive mind think about this question?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Depends on what I could get. Personally, I’d try to get into an L5P with lowest miles and desired trim. Don’t think you’d get the value of the build out of it in 4-5 years, but won’t lose much value in the newer more comfortable ride. My .02. Got what you paid for.

·
Registered
949 Posts

08 Sierra crew cab z71, new brake booster, new tcase, new steering (everything including gear box) rear axle seals, new factory radio and speakers, everything works except the parking sensors and the adjustable foot pedals... Literally no other issues.

You have a paid off, running truck with "literally no other issues" other than parking sensors and adjustable foot pedals (minor issues IMO). Take the $30k and invest it in the market right now - choose something conservative if you want - and wait....

Probably not the opinion you are looking for, but right now is a stupid time to buy a new vehicle unless you have to IMO, and spending $30k on a vehicle with that high of mileage / that old isn't a good use of the funds either IMO unless you truly plan to hold on to it forever. I think in a few years we'll see a market adjustment, the manufacturers who have pumped out all these new trucks without microchips, that are just sitting will eventually have to sell, and then they have to keep rolling out new model years etc. we will (hopefully) end up selling these 2021 trucks discounted to move on down the road. At least this is what I'm hoping for.

You are in a good position right now, and I think waiting on a newer truck is a better use of funds, and getting into the L5P and creature comforts etc. is a better use for the funds and longevity. Again just my opinion.

·
Registered
174 Posts

Now, I could take 30k and do one of two things. buy a newer truck, still diesel, few less miles, a bit more comfortable (those newer trucks ride so much nicer), or take that same 30k and throw it into a rebuild as best as it will buy.....

So the question is, which would you chose? Newer truck? Or 30K budget rebuild? If you choose rebuild what would you do?

I don't care much for tuning other than maybe deleting to get better fuel mileage? I don't pull too heavy and am not looking to build a race truck. What does the hive mind think about this question?
With $30,000 I’d pull the heads and do studs, bigger turbo with injectors, transmission, and tuning as a start.

·
Finally! Wheels on!
10,288 Posts
You have a paid off, running truck with "literally no other issues" other than parking sensors and adjustable foot pedals (minor issues IMO). Take the $30k and invest it in the market right now - choose something conservative if you want - and wait....

Probably not the opinion you are looking for, but right now is a stupid time to buy a new vehicle unless you have to IMO, and spending $30k on a vehicle with that high of mileage / that old isn't a good use of the funds either IMO unless you truly plan to hold on to it forever. I think in a few years we'll see a market adjustment, the manufacturers who have pumped out all these new trucks without microchips, that are just sitting will eventually have to sell, and then they have to keep rolling out new model years etc. we will (hopefully) end up selling these 2021 trucks discounted to move on down the road. At least this is what I'm hoping for.

You are in a good position right now, and I think waiting on a newer truck is a better use of funds, and getting into the L5P and creature comforts etc. is a better use for the funds and longevity. Again just my opinion.
West is right. The perspective of age and wisdom is that 30K (or 25K if you put 5 in the truck to maintain it) is the rule of 72. Someone in their 20s who invests 30k can reasonably expect that to be worth $1.327M in 40 years at 10% annual interest. Food for thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: jdwarren and JimmyD

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'd hold onto my thirty grand and drive that truck another ten years. Or invest the money as others have mentioned. We're probably not far from another major recession and when that happens you'll be a lot happier with 30 grand in your FDIC insured savings account than under the hood of your truck.

Reactions: justapilgrim

·
Registered
929 Posts

West is right. The perspective of age and wisdom is that 30K (or 25K if you put 5 in the truck to maintain it) is the rule of 72. Someone in their 20s who invests 30k can reasonably expect that to be worth $1.327M in 40 years at 10% annual interest. Food for thought.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
These guys said it best. Dont invest all of it. I love my LMM although i'm half your miles. Hell, high water, or out of a job long enough due to a tyrannical mandate are the only things that would push me to get rid of it.
There will always be something nicer/better. Be content and spend that money wisely.

With about 2-3k my wife could fix us up with a nice VRBO place with a hot tub for a week that we could drive to, enjoy the local restaurants and find random activities to do spending time together. Just sayin.

·
Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
2,995 Posts
I too am in the wait and see camp. It's not a good time to be vehicle shopping, nor is it wise to put that much money into a truck that is as old and high mileage as yours is.

If it wasn't your daily driver and you had 30k to blow on making it a project truck, that would be different.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Wait and see....then hop into an L5P. That's my plan some day. I'm only at 207k on the clock though. I wouldn't drop all that money into a 13 year old truck but...to each their own. IF you do that though, be sure to set up a build post with lots of pictures :)🔧

·
Registered
538 Posts
I would keep your current truck and wait for the L5P market to come around. Spend a couple grand on maintenance and adding things you desire in newer models to help you "love" it again.

Maybe invest in home improvements that will most likely appreciate or another toy that you can enjoy now. Then resell when the truck market prices become more reasonable.

·
Registered
2007 Silverado CCSB 4X4 LBZ 6sp
166 Posts
Personally not a fan of the body style of trucks but for me I have an lbz 07 classic and personally love my truck and take that 30k spend say half give or take and up grade my truck and take the rest and invest it into something for the long time
Down the road. Or if I had to spend the full 30k I will sink it into my current truck. I wouldn’t waste the money on a new truck unless you absolutely had
To have one. But if
You did you wouldn’t be asking this. Overall I would rather own a truck that I really want to have and know it like the back of my hand and be able
To work on it and take it wherever I need to and be able to find parts then have the newest latest and greatest truck. I like knowing my toys and how they perform and function. Like if it makes a strange sound I know what it is or I know if I need to pull over ASAP. I don’t my own work. So once I know the machine I prefer to keep it unless the current toy no longer
Does what I need it to do

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm old, now taking my Full SSN since 1955.
I'm tempted to spend some frivolous money but my dad turns 94 on Saturday.
My LBZ, 2006 2500 SLT has 65k miles and Diesel is cheaper than Premium in my 'hood.
If you're younger than 40 yo, throw that money at your future however you choose.
If you're between 40 and 60 yo, spend half on a trip with you and your wife, throw the rest at your future.
If you're coming up on my age group, take a good look at how insane the current world is acting at multiple national and international levels.
I married my wife, not one of my motorcycles, trucks, cars, toys has any real meaning in that universe.
LOL
Just watched the local and national news, another thing to quit paying attention to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts