Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here goes my first post. I've been a Ford guy for a long time, got a '97 F350 4x4 CC but the towing capacity and creature comforts are lacking. I was looking at the Megacab dually but the short bed is a real drawback, not to mention a new 6.7 and 6sp auto that don't have a track record. So I checked out the new GMC 3500 and all I can say is WOW! Big power, quiet, Allison transmission. This is the best looking GM truck I've seen in a long time. The interior is incredible, and the beefy front grille and hood give it the HD look it needed. I have a question for you folks about the IFS. I'm used to a straight axle front end and I wanted to know if any of you have had issues with the IFS like uneven tire wear or the front end diving during hard braking? I've also heard that the rear ends on the GM's can sag with heavy loads and airbags might be needed. I currently tow a goosneck with a total loaded weight of 14k and I want to put it up to 16.5k. Would the 3500 Dmax dually pull that without issues through mountain grades? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan T.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
first off welcome to the site....i have sevaral tire shops and the gm trucks are the easiest on tires untill you do power upgrades..LOL...i have a 05 3500 DRW and it came out of kentucky with a load of logs and grossed scaled at 41k,so what i'm trying to say is the gm trucks have come along way in the last couple of years and no i wouldn't hesitate to hual 14k with the stock truck allthough you will need trailer brakes but i'm sure you know that allready..unless you haul more then 15k all the time i wouldn't worry about the air bags athough they are nice..just my $.02..good luck

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Dan, welcome to the site! Don't hesitate towing with your duramax. I have an 06 SRW that see's 15k at least once a week, and a trailer a little less heavy the rest of the working week. No problems. Just hook er up and go. With that duramax/ Allison combo, there is nothing i'm scared of pulling! The Duramax is one hell of an engine and deserves a lot more respect than what it gets.

As far as the IFS goes, dont abuse it and your fine. No tire wear issues that im aware of, and i have three ifs trucks. :thumbsup

·
Registered
26 Posts
the chevrolet and gmc dont have any issues with sagging anymore than the competitors. most is all bs you hear. most people who run their mouths dont even own a damn diesel. just use common sense while towing. if the vehicle is used within the stock limit you will have no problem. overdueing it however is not the manufacturers fault.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts