Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at an 02 Dually with a 108k on the clock. I live 20 miles from the dealer, I test drove it to my house and it ran great but when I was stopped I could smell fuel strong, like degreaser. I got under it and there was fuel everywhere on the crossmember, trans pan and blown back. It looks like it is coming out of a blowby tube on the bottom passenger side. I did check the oil level and the crankcase is full or fuel. I checked the VIN at the local Chevy dealer, and it has a clean bill of health. I am wondering if it is likely just injectors or if it could be more serious. The coolant levels are fine and it runs strong, just hoping that maybe the injectors are cracked and dumping too much fuel. I did use the search feature and have read alot of the posts, but none really mention blowing the excess fuel/thinned oil out and under the truck. I haven't bought this thing yet, and if it is just injectors I am cool with fixing it ( I am getting a very reasonable deal on it). Thanks

Doug

·
Registered
443 Posts
Fuel in oil is indicative of injector issue as you know. As far as fuel coming out of a blowby tube? I don't know, there isn't crankcase ventilation on lb7 engines... When mine was leaking fuel down there it was due to loose HP fuel lines.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Hey friend, I didn't read but the first three(ish) setences of your post and decided that you need someone to tell you to take it back. Let them fix it then drive it for a week or three. Post again then. These are great trucks when running right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
On the injector issue I know on the 2003 models GM extended the warranty on the injectors to 200,000 miles. Not sure if it goes back to 2002 though, I don't think it does but worth checking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fuel in oil is indicative of injector issue as you know. As far as fuel coming out of a blowby tube? I don't know, there isn't crankcase ventilation on lb7 engines... When mine was leaking fuel down there it was due to loose HP fuel lines.
Well I wonder what my Dad was looking at then? If there is no cc vent, are the lines prone to cracking/failure? If it was a line failure, would it still over fuel the cylinders and put excess fuel in the cc? I am thinking that I will be able to get this thing for around $6k off of book value. Like I said earlier, it has had 0 problems that GM had to warranty other than the tailgate cable recall. Thank you for the feedback, I know the mechanic at our local dealer that does the dmax work but he is out of town fishing....:cool:

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Well I wonder what my Dad was looking at then? If there is no cc vent, are the lines prone to cracking/failure? If it was a line failure, would it still over fuel the cylinders and put excess fuel in the cc? I am thinking that I will be able to get this thing for around $6k off of book value. Like I said earlier, it has had 0 problems that GM had to warranty other than the tailgate cable recall. Thank you for the feedback, I know the mechanic at our local dealer that does the dmax work but he is out of town fishing....:cool:
Yes there is a crankcase breather hose that runs down the front of the engine "just to the pass. side of the crank pulley". It also connects to the PCV's on top of the valve covers "one one each valve cover". You my friend need to have them do the injectors before you put one red cent torwords that truck.

·
Registered
443 Posts
^^^ Jim is exactly right!

The LB7's do have a crancase vent tube!!!!!

The first time I installed my injectors, I did not get new gaskets and it leaked fuel into the oil and blew it out the vent tube just like you described!

It needs new injectors!
My bad. I was unaware.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts