Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 LBZ and at low speeds there seems to be a very very faint scraping/almost whooshing type sound that gets faster with acceleration.

I was first thinking brakes but it doesn't change when the brakes are applied.

Could this just be a wheel bearing? Anything else to look at or that it could possibly be?

Thanks for any ideas!

·
Registered
326 Posts
It could be wheel bearing, possibly a ball joint, or even a bad tire .(yes, I know ball joints normally make a clicking or clunking noise , but on my Nissan Frontier I had a humming I couldn’t get rid of , I changed the ball joints and it went away . This humming only happened in turns though. I’d check the wheel bearing and ball joints , if they look good maybe move the tire from the side making the noise and switch it with another tire and see if the noise goes away

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could be wheel bearing, possibly a ball joint, or even a bad tire .(yes, I know ball joints normally make a clicking or clunking noise , but on my Nissan Frontier I had a humming I couldn’t get rid of , I changed the ball joints and it went away . This humming only happened in turns though. I’d check the wheel bearing and ball joints , if they look good maybe move the tire from the side making the noise and switch it with another tire and see if the noise goes away
I will check into that, thanks! I just got new tires maybe 500 miles ago or less and hadn't heard it until now. the tires themselves do make some noise but this sounds more like something rubbing if I had to describe it. Honestly in order to hear it, it has to be dead silent, like being the only person going down a neighborhood road at night with both windows down and then you can hear it lol. That's where I heard it last.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I will check into that, thanks! I just got new tires maybe 500 miles ago or less and hadn't heard it until now. the tires themselves do make some noise but this sounds more like something rubbing if I had to describe it. Honestly in order to hear it, it has to be dead silent, like being the only person going down a neighborhood road at night with both windows down and then you can hear it lol. That's where I heard it last.
Is it coming from one specific side ?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds like the driver side for sure. When I roll down the driver window and lean out I can definitely hear it best!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It sounds like the driver side for sure. When I roll down the driver window and lean out I can definitely hear it best!
try switching the driver and passenger tires and see if the noise moves sides
I will do that definitely! If the sound does move then could possibly be a tire is what your saying right?

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Yes

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The sound does not move, it stays on that driver's side where it was at. I didn't think it was the tire but that's good I got it eliminated!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Drive along side a commercial building to see what side for sure.The noise will bounce off the wall at you.
It's funny you say that, I actually did that this morning to check and it even bounces the sound off of curbs in the neighborhood so I know it's low down

·
Registered
548 Posts
What’s the mileage on bearings n joints? Any 6-12 play with wheel off ground? Steering wheel feel loose or truck wander?
Crank wheel and power break it forward and reverse while looking at wheel.Best to do that with someone that knows what to look for looking under there while you power drive .
Bet it’s bearings.

·
Registered
202 Posts
You said it changes with speed, is it constant and the pitch changes or intermittent with the tempo changing?

I would say check the shield behind the brake rotors in the front. A rock or something might have gotten between it and the rotor, or it might have gotten bent on anemia ribbing on the rotor. Had that happen once and it drove me nuts trying to track it down! Sounded kind of like an intermittent scrape sound.

Could be a ujoint as well. If it is, it's probably the one on the rear axle because its less protected from water crud. When mine went bad it was more of a creak/squeak sound and it would change depending on if I was acceleration or decellerating because that changes the side the bearings are loaded on. Took it off and one of the cups was solid rust inside!

Try jacking up the rear axle and put it in drive to see if it still makes the sound. That will help narrow it down front to back.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The mileage is 135,000 I got the truck at 70,000 and as far as I know they have never been replaced.

Stranger than that, I don't hear the sound now..I have been listening hardcore for the last 24 hours and now the sound is gone. I was really about to order wheel bearings just because that was the only thing I could narrow it down to. Now I'm thinking maybe just dirt or a rock?? It could make that sound right and then if it fell out or cleaned itself out then it would go away right?

·
Registered
548 Posts
I’ve had a slightly noisy (bad) bearing go quiet before on the driver side,crown side of road .Bearing on other side not as shot but worth changing.
What’s the lifespan of these heavy duty bearings ? At what mileage should they be repacked with grease?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts