Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always assumed that it was good for the engine to idle for a few / couple of minutes at start-up, to let the engine RPM settle down.

Right now the temps here in South East Wi range from 17-30 deg. In the morning the truck RPM is about 850 when first started. After couple of minutes it settles down to just below 500rpm.

I am reading conflicting advice on the net, with some experts claiming idling an engine is bad. While others say idling for extended period of time is bad, but there is no definition of what entails "extended period of time", though I assume it means well more than start-up idle, so over 15 mins.

So is it good or bad to let my LML idle for a couple of minutes , until the RPM has settled down?

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
I always assumed that it was good for the engine to idle for a few / couple of minutes at start-up, to let the engine RPM settle down.

Right now the temps here in South East Wi range from 17-30 deg. In the morning the truck RPM is about 850 when first started. After couple of minutes it settles down to just below 500rpm.

I am reading conflicting advice on the net, with some experts claiming idling an engine is bad. While others say idling for extended period of time is bad, but there is no definition of what entails "extended period of time", though I assume it means well more than start-up idle, so over 15 mins.

So is it good or bad to let my LML idle for a couple of minutes , until the RPM has settled down?

it comes down to what you consider idling. Do you consider a red light to be idling? Personally i have no issue remote starting my truck in the mornings, and letting it run for 10-15 minutes. The soot and carbon accumulation you'll build up from idling for a few minutes is trivial, and the warm engine with fresh warm oil pumped through it is going to be a lot happier when you hit the go pedal. Up here its not uncommon on older diesels to set them to idle for 30 minutes to get warm, though the LML's with there high idle warm up a lot faster. On the other end of the spectrum there are also slope trucks that idle for days straight, literally never being shut off. Dont worry so much about idling. Its better to let the engine be warm, lubricated, and happy, then to worry about how many minutes the truck sits idling. That said, on a emissions intact LML, idling will likely have a negative impact on regen interval, but again, insignificant in the grand scheme.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts

imho, it depends on what you are going to do with the truck.

In cool (not cold) weather I usually wait for it to idle down (mine trucks have all lived outside, and I use remote start, so that doesn't mean I'm sitting in the truck waiting for it)

You should enable the 'elevated idle' function.

When it's warm, it will do nothing.
When it is cold enough (ambient and engine coolant temp) it will run the idle at 1050 rpm. It also sets the torque converter, fan and turbo to create more heat. This also warms the transmission oil.

If your truck lives outside, remote start and the 'elevated idle' are your friends in the winter.

Remote start will run the truck for 10 minutes. It can only be used twice and then a key cycle is required before it can be used again.
(the fob can be used to extend the first cycle -- but the time extension counts as the 2nd cycle)

There is a bunch more info about 'elevated idle' in the duramax supplement.
(Don't confuse this with the 'high idle'; or 'fast idle' function which is for a different purpose, and needs to be activated manually)
Once coolant temp reaches about 150F, the 'elevated idle will shut itself back off.

Elevated idle is supposed to only work below 32F. This was true on my LML, but my L5P seems to engage elevated idle a few degrees above 32F, although I haven't been able to sort out what the limit is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine is a 2006, but the owner's manual says "When your engine is cold, let it run for a few minutes before you move your vehicle. This lets oil pressure build up. Your engine will sound louder when it’s cold."

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just discovered fast idle on my L5P last night.

Usually sleeps in the garage, but on a trip yesterday it sat out all day. 35F when I started it and it idled up to about 850 or so for about 10 minutes. Had the truck a year and never seen this before.

the high idle option is not listed on my build sheet and I have not made/changed any settings for this, so assume it is something built into all trucks, like the coil spring choke on a Rochester Quadrajet. (Ahh, the good old days...)

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
I remote start and let mine idle for 10 mins in the mornings-and plug it in over night. Been in the 20’s lately.

All other times, even in summer, I start and wait at least 30 seconds if it’s been sitting. I just feel it allows for fluids to get to the right place.

If your truck is emissions intact then maybe just make sure you have a good long drive sometime through the week.

·
Registered
104 Posts
lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imho, it depends on what you are going to do with the truck.

In cool (not cold) weather I usually wait for it to idle down (mine trucks have all lived outside, and I use remote start, so that doesn't mean I'm sitting in the truck waiting for it)

You should enable the 'elevated idle' function.

When it's warm, it will do nothing.
When it is cold enough (ambient and engine coolant temp) it will run the idle at 1050 rpm. It also sets the torque converter, fan and turbo to create more heat. This also warms the transmission oil.

If your truck lives outside, remote start and the 'elevated idle' are your friends in the winter.

Remote start will run the truck for 10 minutes. It can only be used twice and then a key cycle is required before it can be used again.
(the fob can be used to extend the first cycle -- but the time extension counts as the 2nd cycle)

There is a bunch more info about 'elevated idle' in the duramax supplement.
(Don't confuse this with the 'high idle'; or 'fast idle' function which is for a different purpose, and needs to be activated manually)
Once coolant temp reaches about 150F, the 'elevated idle will shut itself back off.

Elevated idle is supposed to only work below 32F. This was true on my LML, but my L5P seems to engage elevated idle a few degrees above 32F, although I haven't been able to sort out what the limit is.
I have no idea if my truck has the "elevated idle" option. It does not have remote start, far as I can tell.
Will I be able to use a scanner tool to find out if it has elevated idle?

I am also a but confused on what elevated idle does. Do you mean it runs the engine at 1050 rpm all the time when it is idling, and this RPM never drops? And how does it set the torque converter, fan and turbo to create more heat? Does this higher heat generation subside once the truck has been on the road a few miles, or does it always maintain a specific minimum temp? Does it noticeably affect fuel economy?

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
If it makes you feel any better my trucks been remote started for the last 15 minutes so i can be warm on my way to lunch.
Knowing I'm not the one going to lunch at 4pm...it does make me feel better. :teehee

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Lunch @2....still

40* and rain all day....I've been hibernatin' anyway. marx

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I have no idea if my truck has the "elevated idle" option. It does not have remote start, far as I can tell.
Will I be able to use a scanner tool to find out if it has elevated idle?

I am also a but confused on what elevated idle does. Do you mean it runs the engine at 1050 rpm all the time when it is idling, and this RPM never drops? And how does it set the torque converter, fan and turbo to create more heat? Does this higher heat generation subside once the truck has been on the road a few miles, or does it always maintain a specific minimum temp? Does it noticeably affect fuel economy?
Elevated idle is NOT an option. They all have it.

Yes, it drops the speed (shuts off elevated idle) for any number of reasons (it won't kick in when it's being driven)
I'm not aware of anyone that has expressed a good reason to to 'enable' elevated idle and leave it enabled, since it will only activate if/when the necessary conditions are met.

From the 2015 Duramax supplement:

Elevated Idle

The engine has a cold temperature high idle feature which elevates the engine idle speed from base idle to
1050 rpm for pickup models or 1200 rpm for van models when outside temperatures are below
0°C (32°F), and the engine coolant temperature is below 65°C (150°F).

This feature enhances heater performance by raising the engine coolant temperature faster.
For truck models, there may be two methods of activating the elevated idle.

To turn this feature on or off:

1. Turn the ignition to ON/RUN, with the vehicle off.

2. Press the accelerator pedal to the floor and hold while quickly pressing the brake pedal three times in less than eight seconds.

3. Release the accelerator pedal and start the engine.

If this method is not available, see the alternate method under Truck Models in Vehicle Personalization
(Truck Models) on page 5-16 or Vehicle Personalization (Van Models) on page 5-18.

On van models, this feature can also be turned on and off using the DIC buttons.

When the engine is started, it will slowly ramp up to the high idle speed after a delay of a few seconds up to approximately
two minutes. For this method to work properly there must be no throttle or brake pedal faults.

The engine idle speed will return to normal once the following conditions are met:
. Engine coolant temperature reaches 65°C (150°F).
. Air intake temperature reaches 0°C (32°F).

The high idle speed will be temporarily interrupted and the engine speed will return to normal if any of the following conditions occur:
. The brake pedal is applied.
. The accelerator pedal is pressed.
. The transmission is shifted out of P (Park) or N (Neutral).
. Vehicle speed is detected.

Once these inputs are removed, the engine idle speed will slowly ramp back up to high idle after the normal delay, if the conditions for engine coolant temperature and air intake temperature are still met.

It's likely easier enable it with the personalization menus that can be accessed thru the radio.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I know its a powerstroke, but still the same lovely concept of emissions in tact diesels we have today. Been running archoil oil additive and fuel additive in both my powerstroke & duramax for years.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Cuz we aren’t lemmings and don’t change our clocks twice year? We have too much sun as it is...
no, daylight savings is silly, however it must be weird to have to consult a calendar to calculate what time a football game is on in local time... in some places in the state, but not everywhere.

"......."..........
Very wrong. Continued idling WILL EVENTUALLY “soot up” the DPF in a LML to the point where no “re-gen” can clean it, resulting in a “limp mode”.

You can then either buy a new exhaust assembly for about $2,700, or, if you are near one of the shops that regularly service the DPF,s on the “big rigs” they can cut yours out, cut it apart & clean it, re- install, so that once you find a shop with a sophisticated programmer to take out the “limp mode” you will have a new running truck for about $700 (that is, provided you don’t subject it to extensive idling)
its almost like you intentionally read what you want to out of people posts just so you can tell them they are idiots.

·
Registered
62 Posts
no, daylight savings is silly, however it must be weird to have to consult a calendar to calculate what time a football game is on in local time... in some places in the state, but not everywhere.

its almost like you intentionally read what you want to out of people posts just so you can tell them they are idiots.
Yea, try making business calls.... Always takes a week of two to adjust.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I just discovered fast idle on my L5P last night.

Usually sleeps in the garage, but on a trip yesterday it sat out all day. 35F when I started it and it idled up to about 850 or so for about 10 minutes. Had the truck a year and never seen this before.

the high idle option is not listed on my build sheet and I have not made/changed any settings for this, so assume it is something built into all trucks, like the coil spring choke on a Rochester Quadrajet. (Ahh, the good old days...)

Collins on the L5p it’s an rpo code for high idle. It can be added later through programming at dealer. Mine didn’t come with it but had it added as part of purchase agreement. It is different than the elevated idle they all come with.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts