Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone!

This is my first post on this forum. I have been a long time reader of all of the great information here and it has helped me shop for my new Duramax diesel truck. I have decided on an '07 Silverado 3500HD 4WD Crew Cab Long Box with, literally, every option I think is available. The MSRP is over $55K (ouch!!).

But today the dealer (I haven't formally committed with the dealer to purchase the truck, yet!) told me something that I don't really think is true in regards to the towing capacity of the 3500.

He said that the tow rating of the 3500 was 16300 lbs for a fifth wheel trailer but that if you were towing a trailer with trailer brakes that you could tow a much heavier trailer even a heavy as 23k and that this was a GM approved method for increasing the towable weight.

He said the logic behind what he was saying was that the tow rating of 16300 lbs. was how much the 3500 could tow and SAFELY stop even if the trailer had no trailer brakes. Therefore, if you add trailer brakes you could safely tow a heck-of-a-lot more weight. And as he was saying this he had the agreement of 2 other salesmen and the general manager of the dealership (they sounded like the amen section).

I told him that I thought the manufacturer’s tow rating was the maximum allowable trailer weight you could tow regardless of whether or not the trailer had it's own braking system.

Now I know the 3500 will tow a heavier trailer BUT is what is the real truth?

How much can you really safely tow and be within the manufacturer’s guidelines?

Thanks to all!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I could be wrong but that sounds like houre s--t too me too. I have towed my trailer with worn out brakes (34ft gooseneck with about approx 7000lb on top of it maybe 15 to 16000 lb of trailer weight ) and I had too stop fairly fast one time and It stopped but the brakes make a horrble noise sounded like the left front brake pad was gone ( sort of grinding noise). I had the dealer look at it (the truck only had 12k on it ) and they couldn't find a problem and I haven 't heard the noise again. I know the truck will pull more as I have crossed a scale at just over 36,000lb truck and trailer, but I won't tow with out good brakes on my trailer any more.

·
Rara Avis
372 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies and the link (very good).

I just wish you could get a straight answer from these salesmen.

They gave me a lot of bad information and I had just a general feeling that they could not really care less about any issue you may have after the sale, so long as they make the sale, so I decided they would not be getting my business after all.

Vote with your feet when accross salesmen like this.:liar

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Some salesmen don't know what they are talking about. When I bought my truck, I knew more about them than the salesmen did by reading the forums and doing my own research on the internet.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
they are rated with in limits for a reason but they are capable of a whole lot more but GM has to cover their but somehow..

·
Registered
8 Posts
The dealers I dealt with didn't know squat about heavy trucks and towing. They'll pretty much tell you anything you want to hear. These trucks can safely pull alot more than they're rated at but the main thing to keep in mind is that DOT hands out their fines based on factory ratings.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy CC Dually K3500
90 Posts
I have dealt with a lot of "truck" salesmen over the years and have yet to find one than can answer questions and make me feel like they know the information. I'm not knocking the salesman, but they are generally dealing with comfort accessories, not performance data. You have to do your research to find out what really works.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts