Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advise, just bought a WW40th'r and it weighs 14k unloaded - my 02 duramax cc dually is only rated for 14,400 and I am looking for options to increase the towing capacity. I know the new fords can pull 22500 - what dictates this ? tranny, brakes, suspension, etc.

Any ideas of upgrades I can do or do I need to consider a new truck ?

·
Registered
262 Posts
the new fords rated at 22500 are a 450 and the have different gearing so if you dropping the gears in your truck to 4.72s or something of that caliper and this will alow you to tow more you will be sacrifising fuel mileage but you will have the new found power you need

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
first question is the truck stock or have you added any power to it..i have pulled sevaral loads with a 05lly dually the exceeded the gvw by a little bit,such as the one time with a load of logs out of kentucky and hit the scales at 41k gross weight,but i wasn't driveing i don't know if this counts..what i'm trying to say is i would pull it the way it is..unless you want more power..ps if you buy a new truck stay away from the all new 6.4L powerstroke they are trouble...just my thoughts take them for what there worth

·
Registered
86 Posts
It really doesn't matter what you do to your present truck. The weakest link WILL fail first. It's time to face the fact you bought too much trailer for your truck. Your truck will pull that trailer, and it will wear out prematurely.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. I have a 5th wheel that weighs 15000 empty, and pull it all over the country. I ran 93 and 96 F350s with no problems and they didnt have near the nuts my bowtie has. If it doesn't put out, it doesn't stay at my house.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.