Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Silverado CCSB LT North Sky Blue Dmax
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I always take note of broken down trucks on the roadside while on a trip. Currently on the return trip back to Ohio from Florida and my current count is 2 Dodge 1500's, 3 Phord Super Doodys and zero GM products. Over the last several years I have conducted this survey to help me decide on which diesel to purchase, previously I have only owned gas trucks--and my new 22' dirty max has been flawless pulling my fifth wheel.
Please conduct your own survey and share your findings with us.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Although I like to poke fun at Ford's and Dodge's with my passengers in the truck with me, there is really no empirical data to be gained by seeing any single make of vehicle on the side of the road. Could be there for any number of reasons. Ran out of fuel, needed to take a leak, smoking a cigarette, etc. Without stopping and inquiring you just never know.

·
Premium Member
3,390 Posts
I think sitting by the road with the hood up is a pretty good indicator.

Ram wins hands down.

Reactions: dkmgmc and McSpeed

·
Registered
2021 Silverado 2500HD LTZ L5P
140 Posts
Me and one other person at work drive gm vehicles everyone else drives dodge or ford. Only two are not constantly in the shop for some breakdown or other. Guess which two. This includes my old 2003 silverado 1500 gas engine which is still going strong that a friend is using as a farm truck now

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
I always feel conspicuous when I stop at the local diesel shop to buy accessories. The wait lot is usually crammed full with Furds and Fiatram trucks waiting to get fixed, hardly ever see a Duramax in the shop there. The shop owner has texted me numerous times, asking how my truck is running and does it need any work/repairs done... I guess he gave up cuz my truck never breaks. Disclaimer: This is not a scientific study.

Reactions: JimmyD

·
Registered
258 Posts
I’m on a Ram forum as I came close to buying one…….glad I didn’t. Lots of issues. This one related to intake heater relay. Seem to be lots of issues with little in the way of solutions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 3500HD 4x4 Cclb, Banks Intake, AG Diesel Module
796 Posts
You could literally buy any of the three and get the best truck you’ve ever owned or it could be the worst. There’s just not much quality difference between any of them.
Pretty much this. Visit any of the forums and the amount of brand new low mile truck issues are abundant.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry to burst your bubble. But I’ve driven GMC since the mid 80’s and after the last 2 DMax leaving me stranded or limping with everything from NOX sensors to head gaskets I’ve moved on. I love my problem free Ram 3500 Cummins. Yes, there are things I miss about my GMC, but sitting with my work truck in the shop for weeks is not one of them. GM needs to step up their game before I go back.

Reactions: blythkd1

·
Registered
2015 Chevy 2500hd ltz
141 Posts
They all have problems at the end of the day. I see more fords broke down. I don’t agree with they are are the same. Ford is nothing to write home about. Not impressed with there engines after 2011.

·
Registered
227 Posts
After 2011? What about the 6.0 or the 6.4? Those things are nightmares. They should have stuck with he 7.4 and called it a day just worked on emissions from there. I have worked on I dont know how many powerjokes and very few Cummins or dirtymaxs so if I was to choose it would be either those two. I if I wasn't such a born and raised chevy boy I would wish Toyota would build one. Heard somewhere they had one in the works but with the emissions they were thinking twice. That Nissan one didn't last long and I always thought that 5.8 v-8 Cummins would rattle that Nissan POS apart but haven't seen one of them either so we'll see

·
Registered
352 Posts
Sorry to burst your bubble. But I’ve driven GMC since the mid 80’s and after the last 2 DMax leaving me stranded or limping with everything from NOX sensors to head gaskets I’ve moved on. I love my problem free Ram 3500 Cummins. Yes, there are things I miss about my GMC, but sitting with my work truck in the shop for weeks is not one of them. GM needs to step up their game before I go back.
That's funny. In the oilfield we had six brand new 2015 3500 Cummins trucks. Wanna guess how many went into the shop with less than 10k miles on them for an issue that Fiat Chrysler straight up told us they couldn't figure out? You guessed it!!! All six. Glowing red exhaust manifolds, ruined DEF systems with 5k miles, limp mode with 20k pounds behind you on I-40 running 80 miles an hour in a brand new truck is NOT a good feeling. Meanwhile, the F450's just kept trucking along....

·
Registered
4 Posts
These kind of conversations always make me giggle.. The debate on which one is better or worse has more to do with the owners perspective and mechanical ability than any hard fast truth. My own personal experience with something usually dictates my version of reality. Someone else can experience the polar opposite and see it totally different than me! I’ve told people before that if they are brand loyal they should probably stick with it. It seems like they have better luck overall and are happier with their choice of wheels. I’ve personally owned all three of the major brands and (gassers and diesels) love and hate them all about the same...

Reactions: blythkd1

·
Registered
2022 Silverado CCSB LT North Sky Blue Dmax
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think my observations clearly show that ford had troubles, the 6.0 and 6.4 had undeniable issues, dodges are much better with most of the ones I have seen on the side of the road have been the "dirty tailgate edition". And the duramax powered trucks are not perfect but over the lifetime have been pretty solid.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts