22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having excessive smoke out the exhaust. Here's some background info:

2006 HD2500
LBZ about 125K miles
New injectors about 40K miles
STOCK TUNE
New turbo about 10K miles STOCK
Good power but too much soot, causing lower mileage and ruining the side of my 48' Gooseneck trailer.

Someone mentioned injector timing. My controller (Edge Evolution) shows zero to 2* advanced while driving at about 70 and 1900+ rpm.
What should the injector timing be and is it manually adjusted or computer controlled?

Thanks for any suggestions to solve this issue.
Dan

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Im sure the timing is electronically controlled. Is your actual rail pressure keeping up with demanded? How much boost are you seeing at 70 mph?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The boost varies depending on load. I've had as much as 18# while pulling my trailer uphill. The smoke is prevalent w/o the trailer at part throttle.
Dan

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Smoke under partial throttle really sounds like a boost leak to me but you said theres plenty of power correct? And have you looked at demanded vs actual rail pressure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Injector timing is computer controlled and in the tuning for being stock what your seeing is pretty normal.
What’s your max boost empty/loaded ? 18 IMO is low if your on it pulling a grade.
Cruising or partial throttle the boost will be much lower, it’s when your in full throttle the boost will/should rise to the max.
I think your year stock truck max boost should be in the low to mid 20’s.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
RPM’s and gear also play a roll on boost numbers, the higher the rpms are the higher your boost numbers will be higher.
I don’t know about your EDGE Evo but in the Insights menu you have a record section that keeps most of your pids max numbers, EGT, Boost, RPMs, ECT, etc, etc.
You can reset to 0 and start over.
If your chugging along 2200-2500 rpms your boost will be lower than if your in the 2800-3000 rpm range.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts