Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving home from Georgia and my truck all of a sudden went into a limp mode and would not accelerate further and not go over 60mph. I pulled over thinking it was bad fuel and added a fuel system cleaner and the truck cleared up as soon as i started it, 20 minutes later it did the same thing. Continously for the next 100 miles or so i had to pull over turn the truck off and start it up to finally get home. This morning i went to my work and read the codes, P0202-Injector circuit open cylinder 2, and P2149- Fuel injector group B supply voltage circuit/open. Im really not sure what to do and could really use some help if anyone knows anything about this. As soon as it limped i put my PPE back to stock. Someone please help me out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sounds like the #2 & #7 injector harness problem that was common for the LLY's.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have any idea where i can get either?

·
Registered
27 Posts
GM parts direct, P/N 98017958 Right now they have it listed for $150.

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
ok well the harness you can get at the dealer or gmpartsdirect.com

the ice pick trick is kind of a nig rig solution but it usually works very well

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome thank you very much everyone on here is a huge help, is this easy to replace? Im not an ASE certified mechnic or anything but im pretty good with the mechanical stuff at least. Something i should attempt?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes the dealer is an option. I wasn't thinking about it. I happened to be on GM parts direct when the post came up:D

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
Awesome thank you very much everyone on here is a huge help, is this easy to replace? Im not an ASE certified mechnic or anything but im pretty good with the mechanical stuff at least. Something i should attempt?
its just simple wiring...cut out the old harness wire in the new one

if you need to just get back on the road for now till you replace the harness just ice pick it

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i think i might try the ice pick procedure until the harness comes in im gonna go ahead and order it, is there any diagrams or anything available showing how to icepick the harness?

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
there's a good write up on DP about it....try searching over there. pretty straight forward though. here a basic breakdown of it

1. remove connector
2. take ice pick or all
3. (my own personal addition) heat it up real hot so it melts though the plastic instead of cracking through it.
4.shove it right through the middle o the connector
5. spray the hell out of both ends (injector and connector) with electrical contact cleaner
6. re-assemble

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thank you much il be sure to check it out, im assuming by the anger in your ice pick method you had the same problems? lol

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
haha yea scared the crap outta me i was going up a bridge on a major highway then all the sudden no power.

i never got the new harness the ice pick has been working for over a year for me now. but really the harness is the right way to do it

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats not good, i was about 200 miles out and managed to get home barely! And ok so pretty much im just gonna disconnect the harness and shove an icepick through both sides so it seats better.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you think it is possible to damage something when driving it far distance in limp mode?

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
Thats not good, i was about 200 miles out and managed to get home barely! And ok so pretty much im just gonna disconnect the harness and shove an icepick through both sides so it seats better.
pretty much....you actually one just go through one side but go clear through if possible

when mine went i couldnt get over 20mph. when the #2 injector loses connection it shuts down the whole bank and basically the truck only runs on 4 cylinders

thats why it sounds like an old cummins

i would avoid driving far like that....dunno if it would hurt anyting but just seems like a bad idea

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wow that really works! that was the easiest thing i have ever done to fix the worst sounding problem lol Thank you very much Beech! you rock.

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
no prob man...but keep in mind its not necessarily permanent. keep something resembling an ice pick in the truck with you just in case and if you have some cash around buying and installing the harness isnt a bad idea

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
will do thanks again!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts