Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, when I was heading home from CO, I started getting quite a racket just out of Billings, MT. I pulled over and took a look and listen then I checked the balance rates on my CTS, first picture is at idle in park and second picture is at idle in drive. I put the oil cap on the fill neck upside down and there wasn't any blow by. At that time there wasn't any smoke from the exhaust. When I was driving it onto a trailer to haul home the exhaust became smoky and smelled of fuel. How should I proceed? I assume I send injectors in for testing, do I send all or just the 2? Are there any other possible issues that would cause this? The injectors have just under 60k miles, I run additive religiously and I'm surprised I'm having issues already.
Blue Font Gadget Electric blue Auto part
Font Gadget Display device Auto part Multimedia

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Current balance rates with lots of smoke, 1st pic in Park, 2nd in drive
Font Technology Auto part Gadget Display device
Font Gadget Technology Auto part Display device

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
i recommend talking to Brent or Brian at Lincoln Diesel. They are good people.

·
Former GM Tech and parts
3,031 Posts
I would start with changing the fuel filter, heavy dose of injector cleaner (or do the injector cleaning process) and do a couple heavy throttle pulls to see if it will open up those injectors. The negative cylinders are pulling fuel and the positive ones are adding fuel. Since you have mostly negative that aren't too far out of line and the one positive that is trying to add a lot of fuel, I would guess that one injector has something clogging it.

I've been around several LB7 trucks that someone has been into, started the truck after putting it back together and had a fuel knock and rough running. After a couple hard throttle pulls (high pressure/high demand/high flow), the knock and smoke went away and it was running normal again.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would start with changing the fuel filter, heavy dose of injector cleaner (or do the injector cleaning process) and do a couple heavy throttle pulls to see if it will open up those injectors. The negative cylinders are pulling fuel and the positive ones are adding fuel. Since you have mostly negative that aren't too far out of line and the one positive that is trying to add a lot of fuel, I would guess that one injector has something clogging it.

I've been around several LB7 trucks that someone has been into, started the truck after putting it back together and had a fuel knock and rough running. After a couple hard throttle pulls (high pressure/high demand/high flow), the knock and smoke went away and it was running normal again.
Ok, thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts