Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off truck is an 05 lly with 97000 miles, edge juice w/attitude 4"mbrp exhaust and lbz turbo mp. Other than that its pretty much stock i did head gaskets on it about 15000 miles ago and havent had any issues up until now. The problem happened about two weeks ago on my way to work in north dakota. I live in montana and was about 5 hours away from home in glendive mt. Cruise was set @ 70 and traveling down the interstate and gauges all looked good, engine temp 190-195 whole trip, egts 6-800 depending on hills. truck was empty, no trailer. All of a sudden it stuttered really hard and it started slowing down and looked in my rear view mirror and white smoke was DUMPING out of the exhaust. I couldnt see anything behind me. Pulled over instantly and shut it down right away. when i was coming to a stop it was surging and felt like it was only running on half if not fewer cylinders, and had a really bad knocking sound. pulled turbo mp off and checked turbo checked oil and coolant, both were at correct levels and no contaminants from what i could tell. Had it towed to the chevy dealer in glendive (hkt motors, which i do not recommend to anyone as i had a very frustrating experience with them throughout this process and it really was topped off when it took them 45 minutes to find my key and i was told to come back in an hour so the service writer could get back from lunch) where i was told they couldnt get to it for two weeks which by that time id be heading home anyway so i had a friend come with a trailer yesterday and haul it home for me. So now where im at is the truck is in my garage and i put a code reader on it and have no codes i dont have efi live or access to a tech 2. the truck will not start and the smoke coming from the exhaust has a very very strong smell of diesel fuel. I had it in to the gm dealer in bozeman to have my transmission flushed about 2000 miles ago and had them listen to a tick it had and was told that it was the infamous "typewriter tick". I havent done the ice pick fix yet as i pulled my connectors off and they dont have the holes in them that you're supposed to stick the ice pick through. Does this mean that i have the updated harness? Also i checked the harness where it crosses the alternator bracket and there is no worn insulation or knicks in the wires. Basically im looking for a direction to go, should i pull the injectors and bring them in to get tested or figure out a way to try the ice pick fix? Any help would be greatly appreciated as i need to get it back on the road to make it back to nd in two weeks. Any other information that you guys need let me know, ill keep an eye on this thread and answer as soon as possible. or if its easier my phone number is 406-581-9860 and have my phone on me and im with the truck. Thanks in advance guys hopefully you all will have some ideas.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
have you tried completely removing the edge

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I tried that today after I checked for codes. Same no start problem. It tries to fire on a couple cylinders then just cranks and you can see a little white smoke coming out of the exhaust.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it was finally resolved, I brought it to a deAlership at home and was told it was the injector Pump because they couldn't get the truck to build enough fuel pressure to start it. I got the truck back and ordered an injection pump replaced it and still same issue. No start n diesel fumes coming out of the exhaust. After a lot more research on the Internet I finally found someone else who had the same symptoms and it turned out to be an injector. So needless to say I pulled my glow plugs and cranked it over and fuel was pouring out of my #4 cylinder. I ordered an injector and once I got it it was running again in about an hour. After this ordeal I have completely lost faith in dealerships and am completely convinced that they see us diesel drivers as bottomless money pits that they can milk as much as they want out of. Where have all the techs that care about their customers gone??

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes it was finally resolved, I brought it to a deAlership at home and was told it was the injector Pump because they couldn't get the truck to build enough fuel pressure to start it. I got the truck back and ordered an injection pump replaced it and still same issue. No start n diesel fumes coming out of the exhaust. After a lot more research on the Internet I finally found someone else who had the same symptoms and it turned out to be an injector. So needless to say I pulled my glow plugs and cranked it over and fuel was pouring out of my #4 cylinder. I ordered an injector and once I got it it was running again in about an hour. After this ordeal I have completely lost faith in dealerships and am completely convinced that they see us diesel drivers as bottomless money pits that they can milk as much as they want out of. Where have all the techs that care about their customers gone??
Thanks for the reply.

My 05 LLY is having similiar issues, outlined here....

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/911-problems-forum/108649-lly-smokes-like-train-clatters-runs-rough.html

I am trying to track down the issue that I have. Did the dealer check the balance rates at all? How did you determine it was the 4th cylinder? You read that if diesel comes out the glow plug area, it is a bad injector on that cylinder?

My does run and drive, but barely. It smokes and clatters really bad, and is progressively filling the crankcase with diesel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts