Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Do you have a aftermarket fuel rail plug? Stock ones have a little spring inside either to shut off fuel flow when needed or build pressure. Whatever..
PPE makes a milled Fuel rail plug. Had the same issue as you, changed my stock to aftermarket and it cleared right up.
Took maybe 15-30 mins to install.

Klinkster

·
Registered
24 Posts
When my truck threw that exact code. I did some research and then called a tech and that’s the forst thing he suggest and forst thing I did and there’s been no hiccups since! Do you have a hand held v2 reader or maybe a edge insight cts 2-3 digital read out? If so it will show you your FRpsi, injectors flow rate and everything else. Cp3 rarely go out. But it’s possible..
sorry I couldn’t be of more help..

Klinkster

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
When my truck threw that exact code. I did some research and then called a tech and that’s the forst thing he suggest and forst thing I did and there’s been no hiccups since! Do you have a hand held v2 reader or maybe a edge insight cts 2-3 digital read out? If so it will show you your FRpsi, injectors flow rate and everything else. Cp3 rarely go out. But it’s possible..
sorry I couldn’t be of more help..

Klinkster
I

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts
Sounds like injector time to me as long as the supply side of the fuel system isn’t going deep into vacuum when the issue is present. I’d hedge money on the CP3 being just fine. Hard part is, the only 110% way to know if the injectors are any good is by having a reputable shop bench test them. Seen 0087 codes caused by injectors quite often though. Especially on hot days and when the engine is under a heavy load.

Reactions: BoiseRob

·
Registered
672 Posts
Sounds like injector time to me as long as the supply side of the fuel system isn’t going deep into vacuum when the issue is present.
133k seems low for injectors or am i off my rocker?
Is there something that could have caused them to fail that early or... just fault?

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts
133k seems low for injectors or am i off my rocker?
Is there something that could have caused them to fail that early or... just fault?
Sounds early for me too, that’s why I mentioned measuring the supply side for excessive vacuum, or because he now has a lift pump big drop in pressure, when the issue is present, first. If there isn’t a supply side issue, which is doubtful with a lift pump, then I’m heading towards injectors. If time/money is available, I am sending the injectors out for testing first.

Reactions: HntnFsh

·
Registered
722 Posts
How much vacuum are you pulling at the test port ?
What are your fuel temps ?

·
Registered
722 Posts
I always find it better to diagnose, diagnose, diagnose before loading up the parts cannon and blasting away.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
What happens if you just drive the truck 'normally'? Run smooth, good power? Yes, actual FRP should closely follow demanded FRP. I wonder what is causing desired to drop?? Maybe a MAF or MAP sensor problem?? or boost?

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Hi Guys,
Well, the truck is back together. I fired it yesterday afternoon after programming the IQA codes with my new handy dandy Tech-2 clone. Wow, what a neat tool that is!

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
What tech 2 do you have?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Possible pedal problem? They seem to do funny things when they go bad.. Something about the jump it doesnt like it sounds. Or sensor perhaps. Log your MAF and see what that says too. If that falls, it'd command less fuel pressure if it 'thinks' its seeing less air.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts