Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to know if there is a good site to see a breakdown of the Duramax. I just put my 02 in the shop, drained 6 gallons of deisel from the crankcase and trying to figure out where it came from. Dealer says injectors are bad. Any information appreciated.
:confused:

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
Idont really know of any site like you speek of other than alldatadiy.com but you have to pay a subscription to get the info for 1 year!

But with out a doubt you do have a few bad injectors!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dealer is probably right.

My '03 was in the shop for another issue. Tech ran a computer check on my injectors with his laptop. 2 were marginal so he replaced all 8 under warranty. When I saw the paper work, it noted that the customer complaint was fuel in oil.

I believe there is a 200,000 mile warranty on the injectors. Might be a real good idea to sit down and have a talk with your dealer. Didn't cost me anything to have mine done. 182,000 miles on the odometer. Can't really tell if it runs any better but glad to have the new and improved injectors.

Help out the technician who is going to do the work. Take it in the night before and let them have a cool engine to work on. If I were in his shoes, I'd greatly appreciate that.

Check the coolant level often for the first few days until all the air burps out of the cooling system.

Technician seems to think that folks who use their truck hard, pull loads and work them have far fewer problems with injectors than the folks who baby their DuraMax.

By the way.......... A DuraMax won't run on antifreeze. Had someone add a couple of gallons of green to my fuel tank. Was running up the road and the water in fuel light came on about 15 seconds before the engine stopped. Drained it out, replaced the fuel filters (yes got a fuel water seperator ahead of the factory filter) Didn't seem to cause any harm/damage to the injectors. Ran rough for a few minutes but rather than tow it, drove it home and changed filters again. This was at around 90,000 miles.

·
Registered
64 Posts
When having the dealer replace your injectors(under warranty) are they new injectors, new and improved, or are they actually the same thing he is pulling out?

Thanks,
Chris Zimmerman

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I believe they are remanufactured or referbished. They are still the same design.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When having the dealer replace your injectors(under warranty) are they new injectors, new and improved, or are they actually the same thing he is pulling out?

Thanks,
Chris Zimmerman
They are new/refurb. 01-03 lb7 are covered under 200k/7year warranty

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bad Injectors

My 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Diesel currently has 87,000 miles, I have had to replace the injectors 3 times, the last set lasted only 5600 miles. No one can explain or give me a rational answer as to why, have had it suggested fuel in CA is bad for this engine? Filter has been changed regularly & the truck is extremely well maintained! Any input on why this keeps happening??? PLEASE PLEASE, ANY INPUT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Diesel currently has 87,000 miles, I have had to replace the injectors 3 times, the last set lasted only 5600 miles. No one can explain or give me a rational answer as to why, have had it suggested fuel in CA is bad for this engine? Filter has been changed regularly & the truck is extremely well maintained! Any input on why this keeps happening??? PLEASE PLEASE, ANY INPUT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
You could have something internal causing your problem, bad seats or something else, I am using a aftermarket fuel filter that filters @ the 2 micron level, when my injectors were replaced at 157k, they were full of crud, dirty fuel = crud.

·
Registered
7 Posts
GM needs to back their products!

I have had this truck to 3 different Authorized Chevy Dealers and none of them can figure out why this keeps happening? Apparently Chevy knew there was a problem with these injectors so they extended the warranty to 200,00 miles on the Vin 1 LB7 motor. Unfortunately now they are splitting hairs and say they won't cover mine after 100,00. I'm not quite sure because according to the bulletin it should be covered. I am so at witts end. I have never heard of a Diesel not lasting 100,00 miles!

·
Registered
43 Posts
my 01 has one bad injector and i think one more is going bad. I tried talking to a few local dealers and they tell me the only warranty was a 5 year on the injector pump only. I told them there is a warranty on the injectors and they say no so is there anywhere i can get the statement in print about the warranty. Also im in northeast ohio if anyone has had there injectors replaced around here let me know where. If i cant get them to done how much work is it to replace them myself

·
Registered
64 Posts
When I asked about the injector pump being warranted for 5 years they told me it wasn't. They also told me that the injectors weren't warranted to 200,000 miles......I am really getting tired of all the BS I have been getting from the dealers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bulletins for Fuel Injectors

Good Afternoon,
The bulletin I have is labeled Document ID#1866141
Which quotes;
Models 2001-2003 Chevrolet Silverado
2001-2003 GMC nSierra
2003 Chevrolet Kodiak
2003 GMC Topkick
Equipped with 6.6 L Duramax Diesel (RPO LB7-VIN Code 1) Engine
If you have any further questions you can e-mail me directly
at [email protected]
Hopefully your trucks claim to fame will not be like mine "88,000 miles and four sets of injectors later!"
Good Luck
Lawrie

·
Registered
64 Posts
Where can I find that Bulletin?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Injector bulletin

You can probably ask your local dealer, and they should have it on hand. If not let me know and I can either E-mail you a copy of it in an adobe file tomorrow or I can fax it to you if you give me a fax number!
Lawrie
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
has anyone else had a problem where you have a really rough idle. i know diesels can be rough, but this is like massage chair vibrating. it goes away once i have it in gear. could this be an injector problem? i havent noticed extra diesel in my crank case. any suggestions wlecome

·
Registered
13 Posts
has anyone else had a problem where you have a really rough idle. i know diesels can be rough, but this is like massage chair vibrating. it goes away once i have it in gear. could this be an injector problem? i havent noticed extra diesel in my crank case. any suggestions wlecome
you do have injector issues if you find fuel in the crankcase, poor idle, smoking at idle, and for everyones info injectors are covered up to7 yeras & 200k miles for 01-03 LB7's. Another policy supports the same thing but if they even think or see evidence of a tuner no warranty and they will black flag the VIN

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well the saga goes on. GM replaced My injectors with new and improved, gauranteed not to leak into the crankcase. Two days after getting My truck back one of the injectors failed and resulted in a heavy white smoke bellowing from under the hood and of course smelled like deisel fuel. They fixed this with another four day stay at the dealer.

After four months and after the five year warranty had ran out My truck started running very rough, like it was running on 7 cylinders. Back to GM for repair. This time it had a bad valve guide and wasn't allowing one of the four valves in number eight cylinder to not seat, causing it not to have compression. GM said it had nothing to do with the six gallons of deisel I had previously in the crankcase. GM wouldn't replace the guide and agreed to split the cost of replacing the whole head with Me, total cost was just over $3,000 dollars. This engine has four valves per cylinder, thus four valve guides per cylinder an only one failed, waiting on the other side to fail now. Truck was in the shop for three weeks. Two days after getting it back went to start it and it would start and run about ten seconds and then shutdown, like someone had turned the fuel off. Raised the hood and pumped the filter till it wouldn't pump anymore and it started. If the trucks sits for three hours it has to be pumped before it will continue to run. Back to GM, they don't have a clue what is wrong this time, some kind of leak in the fuel system. Still didn't have 100,000 miles on engine.

Very Very unhappy with My Chevrolet Duramax that was supposed to be built "Like A Rock"

·
Registered
142 Posts
Two days after getting it back went to start it and it would start and run about ten seconds and then shutdown, like someone had turned the fuel off. Raised the hood and pumped the filter till it wouldn't pump anymore and it started. If the trucks sits for three hours it has to be pumped before it will continue to run. Back to GM, they don't have a clue what is wrong this time, some kind of leak in the fuel system. Still didn't have 100,000 miles on engine.

Very Very unhappy with My Chevrolet Duramax that was supposed to be built "Like A Rock"
Don't blame the truck for this. Blame the mechanic that did something wrong.

·
Registered
26 Posts
hey,i,m having a problem with my truck and i took it in with only 20,000 miles on it and the dealer says in need new injectors and possiable a injection pump at a cost to me for $8,000 says i have something in the fuel that does smell funny,they drain the tank put in fresh fuel still have problem.i m in the process of getting new injectors , but if the is something in writing or special that needs to be said to dealer to have them warranty my truck tell me???

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got a 2004 Duramax that I only use seasonaly for towing. It's only got 45,000 miles on it!

A few months ago, I noticed that it was smoking allot more that it used to. Recently it got real bad and you could definately smell the diesel.

Brought it into the dealer. Had the 5-year extended waranty and also showed them the letter extending the injector warranty to 7 years / 200,000 miles.

To make a long story short, they are only replacing ONE injector!:eek:

Boy am I pissed!:mad:

The tech isn't too happy about it either. He's got over 5 hours on the truck doing diagnostic work and on the phone with GM. They say that only one injector is bad, so that's all they will authorize replacing!

I guess I'll be going back again next year when the others go bad!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts