Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's wrong here? I've just had to replace the 2nd set of injectors. Truck is 2002 Chevy, 193,000 miles, full Time RV'er towing 36 ft 5th Wheel. First set of injectors replaced at about 135,000 miles covered by Warranty. This second set being replace on my dime at 194,000 miles but outside the 7 years. Billows of smoke at idle but pulls good and no loss of fuel economy. Two of the injectors were leaky, three had bad rust and may as well replace the remaining 3. Replace fuel filter about every 25,000 miles (NAPA Gold) use Power Service fuel additive. Finally, heres the point, I've replaced the injectors twice and I,m just coming up on replacing the brake pads!
Whats Wrong with this picture!!?

·
Registered
339 Posts
do them your self and save at least $2500. i got a set of remans for $1000. dealerships are OUTRAGEOUS and half the time they are wrong with diagnostics. i guess things start wearing out when your pushing 200K miles.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
I would also have to say that it is partially from not replacing the fuel filter enough. 25k between filter changes:eek:

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would also have to say that it is partially from not replacing the fuel filter enough. 25k between filter changes:eek:
how ofetn should you chnage the fuel filter

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
how ofetn should you chnage the fuel filter
I would change it every 8-12k, if it were me. Also I would look at using the Racor Coalescer Fuel Filter, since it is supposed to do a better job at removing water from the fuel. Here is a link to where I get mine, along with a better description on the filter it self:drink

Racor NEW Coalescer Fuel Filter 01-10 Duramax Diesel | Maintenance | 01-04 LB7 Duramax | GM Duramax | Diesel Power | Performance Truck Products

There is also the possibility that the mechanic that changed them did not keep everything nice and clean. The injector feed lines do get a little rust build up on them. If the mechanic did not clean the good, you would get rust in your new injectors, which would lead to premature injector wear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts