Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
No 40 overs would be fine. But keep in mind that up to 30 overs is a certain price. Then 40 overs and up are going to cost more. You can go as big as 60 overs IMO. The bigger the better for your motor with good tuning.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No 40 overs would be fine. But keep in mind that up to 30 overs is a certain price. Then 40 overs and up are going to cost more. You can go as big as 60 overs IMO. The bigger the better for your motor with good tuning.
On a stock bottom end lbz what would you go with? And with 60 overs would I need an aftermarket cp3, or would it hold pressure?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
349 Posts
check out xenergy.. the 45% overs are the same price for honing. i think thats what ill end up doing at some point

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
On a stock bottom end lbz what would you go with? And with 60 overs would I need an aftermarket cp3, or would it hold pressure?

With proper tuning you will never exceed your stock CP3's ability. The point of the larger injectors would be to decrease PW and timing a bit. This would leave them open for shorter periods to acheve the same results as your stock injectors. With the 4094 and bigger injectors (and a lift pump) your going to be able to exceed 600hp, which is close to the limit for your rods. So tuning will be kept at a safe level.You wouldnt want a MAX EFFORT tune with those mods. Just a 650 tune Max, and that would be risky IMO. You will be happy with 600hp!

If I was going to reccomend anything it would be the 45 over Exergy injectors but they arent cheap! They will last alot longer than others tho!

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With proper tuning you will never exceed your stock CP3's ability. The point of the larger injectors would be to decrease PW and timing a bit. This would leave them open for shorter periods to acheve the same results as your stock injectors. With the 4094 and bigger injectors (and a lift pump) your going to be able to exceed 600hp, which is close to the limit for your rods. So tuning will be kept at a safe level.You wouldnt want a MAX EFFORT tune with those mods. Just a 650 tune Max, and that would be risky IMO. You will be happy with 600hp!

If I was going to reccomend anything it would be the 45 over Exergy injectors but they arent cheap! They will last alot longer than others tho!
I am just going to have my injectors honed out... And I don't want to exceed 600 hp. Maybe 625 for a very rare drag tune..

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I have got 30 over nozzles with a 4094 and love it!!!

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
I am just going to have my injectors honed out... And I don't want to exceed 600 hp. Maybe 625 for a very rare drag tune..

Then keep the injectors stock. No need for larger nozzles if you're not trying to make lots of power.
My truck ran very well with 40s and a 4094, but the #3 piston only lasted 6 months. It was somewhere around 630rwhp and never turned down. If you send them out for honing, send the injectors to be tested. You dont want to screw a larger nozzle on an injector that is leaking or returning too much fuel.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Then keep the injectors stock. No need for larger nozzles if you're not trying to make lots of power.
My truck ran very well with 40s and a 4094, but the #3 piston only lasted 6 months. It was somewhere around 630rwhp and never turned down. If you send them out for honing, send the injectors to be tested. You dont want to screw a larger nozzle on an injector that is leaking or returning too much fuel.
I just don't want to be running a large pulse width tune... That's why I'm doing the injectors. For safety on the engine

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Regardless if you don't want a larger pulse width tune...throwing in bigger injectors and running a lower pulse width tune is still the same as running a bigger pulse width tune on stock sticks. Either way the same amount of fuel is being delivered, same amount of abuse is being demanded from the engine and so on.

Yea I agree a larger injector running a lower pulse width is safer to an extent than running a stock injector with a bigger pulse width to achieve the same power..but the end result is the same. But if you'r set on getting some injectors then I would go 40% overs. They will do everything you are looking for.:gearjamin

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Regardless if you don't want a larger pulse width tune...throwing in bigger injectors and running a lower pulse width tune is still the same as running a bigger pulse width tune on stock sticks. Either way the same amount of fuel is being delivered, same amount of abuse is being demanded from the engine and so on.

Yea I agree a larger injector running a lower pulse width is safer to an extent than running a stock injector with a bigger pulse width to achieve the same power..but the end result is the same. But if you'r set on getting some injectors then I would go 40% overs. They will do everything you are looking for.:gearjamin
Yea I've heard that bigger injectors can help with the lbz piston problems, being that larger pulse with tunes on the pistons are what causes then to go quicker. Plus I found a good deal so why not...

·
Registered
443 Posts
I though you had a bad injector in that cylinder?

We are both getting our nozzles done. Should be a fun time :thumb

The injectors will be tested and the nozzles will be inspected/ tested before they hone them out to make sure they are in spec.

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
I though you had a bad injector in that cylinder?

We are both getting our nozzles done. Should be a fun time :thumb

The injectors will be tested and the nozzles will be inspected/ tested before they hone them out to make sure they are in spec.
That just magnified the piston problem. The passenger HG was already shot. More fuel and shitty tuning helped it along much quicker. Personally, I would never go over 550rwhp with a stock 4094 on an LBZ+. DP gets too high along with EGTs.

Like Mike said, it's still injecting the same amount of fuel, if not more, at a lower pulse. It is a bit less stressful on parts, but it isnt a band-aid for shitty pistons.

·
Registered
443 Posts
That just magnified the piston problem. The passenger HG was already shot. More fuel and shitty tuning helped it along much quicker. Personally, I would never go over 550rwhp with a stock 4094 on an LBZ+. DP gets too high along with EGTs.

Like Mike said, it's still injecting the same amount of fuel, if not more, at a lower pulse. It is a bit less stressful on parts, but it isnt a band-aid for shitty pistons.
Ouch!!!

Yeah I already knew that and I agree with you. But I still would rather run a lower PW/ Timing than not.

Gotta pay to play. We all know the risk.

DP will always be high with a VVT. It just comes with the fact of having one... We all know Chris doesn't like them :)

·
Registered
7,376 Posts

This is a serious question Chris...

Ifyou wouldnt exceed 550hp with a 4094, why even buy it? Wont the stock motor and parts (turbo, fuel, ect...) make 550 anyway? For me the whole point would be to exceed the stock limits...

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
This is a serious question Chris...

If you wouldnt exceed 550hp with a 4094, why even buy it? Wont the stock motor and parts (turbo, fuel, ect...) make 550 anyway? For me the whole point would be to exceed the stock limits...
I wouldn't buy it. I think they are a total waste of money and time. :) You'd be much better off spending the money on a real turbo, or stepping up to one of Danville's chargers if you want to stick with a VVT.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wouldn't buy it. I think they are a total waste of money and time. :) You'd be much better off spending the money on a real turbo, or stepping up to one of Danville's chargers if you want to stick with a VVT.
Like a 4094 with billet wheel? That's what I plan on purchasing

·
Registered
349 Posts
zing lol :rof

·
Registered
446 Posts
Like a 4094 with billet wheel? That's what I plan on purchasing
That's what I have. I like it, but if I had to do it again I'd go with compounds, stock/475. By the time you buy the turbo, intake, downpipe, EGR delete tube, etc you are less than $1,000 away from a compound kit that includes all of that stuff. I do have Exergy 45's and they helped quite a bit with response.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How hard are injectors to pull? How Long am I looking for removal and installation? Do I have to move/unbolt a whole bunch of crap (sensors, engine parts, ect) to get the them, or are they fairly simple to get to. I know the lb7 are a pain and than lbz are easier, just wondering how hard it is, as the company that will hone them out is alot cheaper if I don't have to pay for labor to pull and install them...

Also, if I hone out my stock injectors, that won't cause any more reliability problems with them if they are balanced and tested will it? I don't want to have to purchase a new I injector down the road...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts