Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a new member as of today. I have been reading the forums for 2 days now before I decided to join (Good group of people here) Anyways, I have a 02. INJECTOR pump was just replaced 3000mils ago, but the just recently having trouble starting ...so I decided to (replaced filter, checked lift pump no problems) shorty after all that; now truck will not start at all on its own. if a spray a shot of brake clean in the air box the thing starts right up. and runs fine; you can immediately shut off the truck after starting (engine at operating temp) and try to start; motor will not start with out giving it something more than WD40. I have driven the truck for another 3000 miles like this. The truck stays running and is on the go most of the day (3 starts max per day). about the only thing I am getting now is black smoke, performance is still there but "some" smoke at hard acceleration's. (more than normal)
Note: this 2500 is all stock. injectors where replaced 2 yrs ago; fuel in oil. and the pump is new. lift pump still good. filter new.
I I am not getting any fuel in the oil but I was thinking the injectors might be bad again (or a couple of them). the truck has to crank longer than normal to start... I am almost under the impression that the pump is bad or faulty...:confused:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Stop spraying WD 40 into the intake!
Let's fix it right. There is no lift pump (unless you installed one) and there could be a could be a couple things going on here to cause your problem
First, an air leak into the supply side that will cause you to lose prime
Internal high side leak (injectors) that are starting to go bad and are causing a loss of high side pressure.
Big question is why did they replace the pump?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
didn't really have a choice

WD40 was the only way to get the thing going to take it to the different shops to have it looked at.... otherwise I would have had 600bucks in towing fees to all the places that I have taken it....anyways; thats not the point. pump was replaced because it stopped working ( or so says the dealer)
At any rate I have NOW taken the truck to Bruce Lowrie they seem to have a handle on the situation for now. Seems there is some diesel in the oil to add to the list of problems. It looks like the injectors are under warranty till 200,000miles...I will keep you guys posted with a more detailed post on the issue after talking to the dealer more monday.
Note: (new pump is under warranty along with the injectors... so we will see if it is something else that is adding to the mix.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So you are in the DFW area. Good dealer, lots of knowledgable diesel guys there.
600 towing is alot cheaper than a new engine. DMax's don't like starting fluids.
OK sounds like you have a high side leak.
In this case with diesel in the oil, you have an injector leaking. Must not be leaking much, but enough so that the engine won't build fuel pressure to start. That is probally why the last dealer put a pump in it.
8 injectors and you sould be good as new.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts