Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starts up with ease no matter the temperature (has started with ease without being plugged in when the temp was around 10 degrees F).

No smoke when starting (unless cold/ engine temp below 120 on temp gauge).

White smoke when I accelerate quickly getting on the highway (when engine temp is cold).

Loud Idle, you can hear a consistent light "tick", speeds up slightly when reving engine. Sounds like valve chatter coming from the passenger's side mostly, does not get better or worse until above 1800 RPM, then it seems to get a little quieter. Does not seem to get louder or quieter with engine temp cold or hot.

Plenty of power.

NO FUEL IN OIL

I run 40/60 Lucas/Valvoline 15w/40 HD and it doesn't seem to quiet the sound at all.

Any suggestions appreciated. :rockin

·
Registered
30 Posts
have you tried a fuel additive. it might quit down the injecter tick which is what im guessing you hearing. aslo how long has it been since you changed your fuel filter when ever mine starts to smoke white a new fuel filter usually fixes it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's been a while since I've changed the fuel filter, unfortunately... As far as mileage/hours, I'd rather not say, but it's beyond the 12 month mark. As far as the smoke goes, it's only when the engine is cold... Once it warms up it doesn't seem to do it at all- Maybe a little black smoke if I put it to the floor on the highway

·
Registered
30 Posts
i tryed a micro gard fuel filter on mine once and started doing what ur describing imidiatly. After about 5000 miles it would fog out the block sitting at a stop light and taking off. Needles to say it doesn't get cheap filters anymore. In fact friday I just changed fuel filters. That one had about 5000 on it and was a wix. Started smoking white at idle warming up. Changed filter no more smoke.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate it, but the excessive noise from under the hood (primarily on the passenger's side) is my main concern... Diesels will smoke from time to time... But mine has more of the light ticking or chatter than smoke. Still think the filter would be a good starting point?

·
Registered
33 Posts
fuel filter is always a good starting point. at 23,000 psi clean fuel makes a big difference in how our trucks run. when was the last time the injectors were replaced and the valves adjusted?

·
Registered
178 Posts
with that many mikes you might need to adjust your valves, but do the easy stuff first.

"I'd rather not say how many miles" Sounds to me like you know you need to do the filter. and a dirty filter, or lack of fuel due to dirty filter will cause Injector noise and valve noise.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everything was changed this morning, Oil and filter, fuel filter, and even the spin-on filter on the Trans.

Still having quite a bit of chatter, but it's running smoother now that the fuel filter's been changed.

I found out that the injectors had been changed by the previous owner (by the dealership) at 106k AND 175k... At this point I'm leaning away from an injector problem and concentrating more on the valve train, I can definitely tell a distinctive valve chatter now... I think having a dirty fuel filter was causing me to have noise from the fuel system that was actually superficial.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much does a flow test cost at a dealership, do you know?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I wouldn't count the injectors out just yet. I would spend the money and have them checked so you positively they are or aren't your problem, just my .02 cents.
125k assuming you are still at 299k that is about the top end average of injector life.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Echo, why are you being the messenger of bad news? -- Please sense the humor in that.

I appreciate any advice whether it leans toward a positive or negative outcome. Thanks everyone for your posts-- Probably going to have the flow test done, eventually.

·
Registered
33 Posts
merchant automotive has a great write up on how to check valve lash on there web site. i would have the injector ballance and return rates checked just to rule them out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts