Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK Well this may be a little long winded but for those who take the time to read it, it may become invaluable to you. Like eso many others I have a 2001 2500HD with an LB7. In the fall of 2010 at 243000 miles I begna having the hard start problems. I began searching these forums and later determined I had bad injectors. I have a borther that is a GM tech but to dumb to listen to him most of the time. (probably a sibling rivalry thing). So I did what everybody else does to save a buck and immediately went to ebay and found a reasonable set of "remanufactured injectors". I looked at the seller's (InjectorsDirect) feed back and the stated warranty for the injectors. I then purchased the injectors and installed them in my duramax. Immediately upon start up it smoked like a car with a blown head gasket, but settled down and began only blowing black smoke when I would pull out from a stop light. (bad sign!) So I assumed maybe they needed a break in period. Within about three days I noticed a fuel knock beginning which I had never had before.
As luck would have it I did unfortunately wreck the truck on the third day. It was a pretty bad wreck and the body shop was extremely slow at getting it back to me, but when I did get it back it had the fuel knock even worse. I sent it to the chevy garage and they told me it had three bad Injectors in it. I called Mr. Andrew Grow at injectors direct and explained the situation to him and what my problem was. Andrew told me that basically 90 days was 90 days and that there was nothing he could do.
I am a reasonable person and though I did not like the fact never the less it was 90 days and I was beyond the stated warranty date. Frustrated I went to the GM garage and purchased three injectors through them and replaced the bad injectors. At this point I still had 5 of the InjectorsDirect.com injectors in my truck. Over the coarse of the summer and working close to home this year, I did not drive the truck that much but probabloy put about 7000 miles on the truck. This passed fall around october I began having issues with smoking bad again. I checked the oil and sure enough; diluted fuel. Being a little short on cash at the mometn I again turned to injectorsdirect.com and bought three more injectors. (HORRIBLE IDEA!!!!!!) This time I installed the injectors and started the truck and imediately had a fuel knock. I figured myabe it was one of the other injectors I had no changed and was kicking myself. I sent it to the Chevy garage for diagnostic again and they informed me it was number 1,5,7 Injectors again. The ones I had just replaced.
I immediately contacted injectorsdirect.com and spoke with Andrew Grow again who became agitated and asked me "how do you know they are bad" I advised him that I had taken the vehicle to the GM garage and they had told me they were bad the flow rates and return rates were way below standard. Andrew Grow then advised me of what his standard of the flow rates were, not the same as GM had told me (but what the heck would they know) and told me to send them back to him and he would test the injectors at a cost of $50 per injector to me.
Well at this point I became concerned and attempted to find some more information about injectorsdirect.com. I even went as far a google earthing their address. As far as I can tell this is some guy working from his garage next to his house in a residential neighborhood. It is an internet only business. Probably because he knows he is ripping people off and does not want to deal with them face to face. Dont believe me do the homework for yourself. OK so back on track here.
After my investigation which goes much farther then stated. I went to gateway diesel a company about two hours from where I live that remanufacturers injectors and injection pumps, at the advice of a local diesel shop. They advised me that they could test the injectors but that they did not rebuild the LB7 injectors as "Bosch is the only ones who can do it properly". Never the less I had them test the recently purchased injectors and give me a written analysis as I had intentions of seeking legal action against andrew Grow.
The very next day I was contacted by Gateway Diesl and asked me "who said they remanufactured these injectors?" The technician stated that when they hooked the injectors up to the machine to test them, one "leaked externally" (junk) immediately and the other two had "such high return rates" that there was no way that they had been recently remanufactured. As a matter of opinion only and no statement of fact intended, the technician stated that he believed someone had simply replaced the nozzles and had done no work to the valves inside. He also stated that there was no way that in this short amount of time there could have been this much wear to these injectors. Nor could the seller have tested them as they leaked by so badly that they could not be tested.
SO my purpose here is simply to warn others like me who are looking to save a buck about this scammer and to avoid him at all costs or it will be expensive to you.
If your wandering what I did to rectify the situation I. I contacted a lawyer locally about my options who advised me to cut my losses with this loser and that suing him would be a waste of time. I did however contact the US Postal service about the possibility of mail fraud being the case here and they have not gotten back to me as of yet. I went to the chevy garage who diagnosed my vehicle and purchased three injectors from them and installed them in my vehicle.
I still have two out of the origonal 8 purchased from InjectorsDirect.com in my truck and for now they are working one a little high on returns but working for now. Gonna change them this summer when I have some free time, they are on the other side of the motor.
I hope this helps someone who is looking for answers and considering trying to save money by buying from this rip off artist.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
I appreciate you sharing this with everybody. I'm sure it will save somebody a major headache!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Too bad there are people out there like this and nothing can be done about it. Anytime I plan on buying a new vehicle I always do an internet search and look at forum boards. I was on here a good month before I actually became a member and bought my truck. Don't get confused thinking that everything on these forums are gospel but when you see reoccurring mentions of good business it’s an indication of who to go to.

Before I had work done on my truck to replace the injectors I visited every performance repair shop locally and then even checked the forums on them to see what I could find out.

The short story is that in this day and age, do your due diligence and research every company you plan on spending big money with.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Mail fraud?? Really? You think the post office is actually going to do something for you that clearly they have nothing to do with?

Did you purchase reman injectors or did you purchase refurbished injectors? Big difference between them.

I have purchased from injectors direct before and only received top notch customer service as well as perfect remaned injectors. Never had a problem with them.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Mail fraud?? Really? You think the post office is actually going to do something for you that clearly they have nothing to do with?

Did you purchase reman injectors or did you purchase refurbished injectors? Big difference between them.
give the guy a break! Yeah, in hindsight he could have done things differently, but he still had to go through shit!.....its no fun, especially if one is working on a tight budget!

·
Registered
12 Posts
My name is Andrew, and I am the owner of InjectorsDirect. I have been a member of this forum since 2011, and read /learn here every day (as you can see I just don’t post much). I saw this thread and thought I should state the facts, without trying to start an argument.

1) This customer purchased refurbished injectors (cleaned/tested used injectors) that have a 90-day warranty, not remanufactured which we DO sell as well.
2) Customer called with concerns about injector balance rates well outside of the normal warranty, we offered to test them, and replace if necessary. As most of you probably know bad balance rates don’t always mean the injector is bad, so we bench test all injectors on our computerized test stand to verify any issues before replacement. We only charge to test injectors that are OUT OF WARRANTY that PASS the test. We would not charge to test a defective injector that was under warranty, we would simply verify the customer’s concern and replace the part if necessary.
3) Not only did we offer to test/replace the injectors if necessary, we also offered to refund the customer if he was willing to return the injectors. He declined to do so, claiming he would rather use them for cores and pursue legal action.

We are an online business, but that doesn’t mean we don’t take pride in our work, We do our best to make sure all our customers are satisfied. We do receive incoming packages at a residential address due to the fact that the delivery service to our shop is not dependable. If we were trying to hide from anyone, we would be using a P.O. box. We aren’t perfect, and either are used parts, but we are also reasonable people who aren’t in business to screw anyone over. It is unfortunate that this situation turned to this, but I know many other fellow forum members can attest to our service and parts quality. Thanks for reading, and feel free to contact me directly anytime if you have any question or would like to discuss.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks Andrew for adding your comments. As a new diesel owner and trying to learn as much as I can forums can be very confusing. It is good to hear from all sides. You earned points in my book.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
No problem. We normally have great feedback from our customers who choose the refurbished injectors, as well as the Bosch remans of course.

Can you confirm the Bosch remans are the same ones sold at a GM dealer?

Just in case people seeing this thread have any question about those too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks Andrew for adding your comments. As a new diesel owner and trying to learn as much as I can forums can be very confusing. It is good to hear from all sides. You earned points in my book.
No problem, thanks for taking the time to read!

Can you confirm the Bosch remans are the same ones sold at a GM dealer?

Just in case people seeing this thread have any question about those too.
Yes sir, they are rebuilt by Bosch for GM. We buy them directly from GM in bulk, and pass the savings along!

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Yes sir, they are rebuilt by Bosch for GM. We buy them directly from GM in bulk, and pass the savings along!

Awesome, much appreciated. :thumb

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hey guys, my name is bret and I saw this thread and felt the need to chime in. About a years and a half ago I bought in 01 Duramax. I didn't know much about the looming fuel system issues on these trucks with a unknown service history. Needless to say the cp3 took a crap on the way home and after some research i found out it needed a set of injectors as well:help. My brother Palmer told me that he had a friend that would help me out. I was at my wits end with this truck my wife was ready to kill me. I called Andrew grow @ Injectors Direct the next day and was stoked that he answered the phone and was willing to help right away. He waived the core charge on good faith and I had the injectors in two days. I got them installed and the truck runs awesome!!. It's been 15k miles and the balance rates are still less than +/- 1. I would strongly recommended Injectors Direct and am glad Andrew spoke up to clarify this issue.

·
Registered
57 Posts
2004 Chev cc lb stock

I purchased 8 Bosch remans from Andew 25k miles ago, had them installed by a Gm tech that works at a Gm dealership, The tech said ( these are the exact same injectors we use at the dealership). The truck runs top notch. The core return credit went smoothly and he did what he said. I rate the service as excellent and quality of product as well. Obviously the story here is do not install used injectors.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
And the truth comes out. The op bought refurbished injectors, Not remans.

X2

Refurb injectors have an unknown number of miles (might have 30k or 300k) on them and as long as they pass the bench test they are usually sold as such. I can only speculate that these are probably cores that come back and test good, but maybe Andrew could speak more to where they come from, if/how they are cleaned, what the specs are on the bench test, etc.

If it were me I'd probably stick to remans on the LB7 simply because of the labor involved in changing one but not a big deal on LLY+ motors. If you plan on keeping the truck a long time the better buy is still the remans though IMHO.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys, my name is bret and I saw this thread and felt the need to chime in. About a years and a half ago I bought in 01 Duramax. I didn't know much about the looming fuel system issues on these trucks with a unknown service history. Needless to say the cp3 took a crap on the way home and after some research i found out it needed a set of injectors as well:help. My brother Palmer told me that he had a friend that would help me out. I was at my wits end with this truck my wife was ready to kill me. I called Andrew grow @ Injectors Direct the next day and was stoked that he answered the phone and was willing to help right away. He waived the core charge on good faith and I had the injectors in two days. I got them installed and the truck runs awesome!!. It's been 15k miles and the balance rates are still less than +/- 1. I would strongly recommended Injectors Direct and am glad Andrew spoke up to clarify this issue.
I purchased 8 Bosch remans from Andew 25k miles ago, had them installed by a Gm tech that works at a Gm dealership, The tech said ( these are the exact same injectors we use at the dealership). The truck runs top notch. The core return credit went smoothly and he did what he said. I rate the service as excellent and quality of product as well. Obviously the story here is do not install used injectors.
Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
X2

Refurb injectors have an unknown number of miles (might have 30k or 300k) on them and as long as they pass the bench test they are usually sold as such. I can only speculate that these are probably cores that come back and test good, but maybe Andrew could speak more to where they come from, if/how they are cleaned, what the specs are on the bench test, etc.

If it were me I'd probably stick to remans on the LB7 simply because of the labor involved in changing one but not a big deal on LLY+ motors. If you plan on keeping the truck a long time the better buy is still the remans though IMHO.
Correct, we have no way to know how many miles are on the refurbished injectors. They are pulled from running motors, that are parted out (mostly out of wrecked/salvaged trucks). We clean them in an ultrasonic cleaner, and measure the resistance/insulation check between the solenoid coil & injector body using high voltage megatest type meter. The next step is a pressure/leak check/flush at 800 bar (11,500 psi), to measure return flow & visually inspect spray patterns. Only if they pass these steps, they are tested on the computerized test stand. This test takes about 15 minutes per injector, and digitally measures delivery, return, reaction time, and temperature at 4 different pressures (300-1600 bar or 4,400-23,200 psi). Our flow specs are calibrated to be the same as a new/reman Bosch Injector, the volumes are measured in mm3. Injectors that pass all testsWe sell a good amount of refurbished injectors for all the different Duramax engines, and have plenty of happy customers running them. Although they won't always last as long as a new or reman injector, many people choose them simply due to the lower cost. We have a very low warranty return rate, and many issues are due to improper installation, most often re-using high pressure lines without properly cleaning them (especially on the LB7). This sediment contamination is detrimental to any injector, and it often causes almost immediate failure of the ball seat/control valve.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
We have a very low warranty return rate, and many issues are due to improper installation, most often re-using high pressure lines without properly cleaning them (especially on the LB7). This sediment contamination is detrimental to any injector, and it often causes almost immediate failure of the ball seat/control valve.

I suspect this happens quite often, especially when you see how rusty some of those lines are. Good info and I thought it was worth of highlight for others coming across this thread given the initial alleged complaint.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts