Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use one of these?

https://www.alligatorperformance.com/exergy-e05-10505-inlet-metering-valve-11-16-gm-6-6l-duramax-lml

Is it worth the money and effort? We have a '15 Silverado 3500HD DRW LTZ 4WD that's about to hit 100,000 miles. I'm going to add a lift pump and delete the fuel filter on the engine and thought about doing one of these at the same time for extra insurance. I'm not quite ready to give into doing a CP3 conversion yet and spending $4K (what a local shop quoted me).

Forgive me for this being my first post. I'm a long-time member but for some reason my old account wouldn't open and despite many efforts I couldn't recover my information so it just became easier to do a new account.

Thanks.

Scott

·
Premium Member
10,656 Posts
I would never delete the factory filter with the WIF sensor, I know some have problems with it but I feel that if we didn't have the stock filter and WIF sensor still in place that our CP4 on the 2011 may have been toast after fueling up with a bad batch of fuel. The fuel had so much water in it that it overwhelmed the lift pump filters and set off the WIF light which alerted us to the problem and also the stock racor filter did a good job of stopping it. JMO

Reactions: eli_harper13

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'd agree with the above as far as the Parker Racor filter is very good at water removal as I don't use a lift pump.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Welcome. Will it help in the event of a CP4 failure? Yes. Will it prevent the CP4 from failing? No. Like you said it is good insurance before you swap over to a CP3. Also run a good/high quality additive with lubricity.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I’m curious if there is anybody that used this and had a CP4 failure and this saved their fuel system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
I don’t believe anyone here has had a failure with one installed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for all of the responses and links to read. That makes perfect sense about not deleting the OEM filter; I'll keep that one on there too. I do have another question ... the last time I changed the fuel filter I had trouble with the truck starting as it had a difficult time catching a prime. Will a lift pump help the system catch a prime after the block fuel filter is changed?

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
I suggest adding ball valves on either side of the pump/filter heads. That way when you change filters it wont drain out. As long as you fill your fuel filters it will help tremendously. Some lift pumps are not self priming.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thank you for all of the responses and links to read. That makes perfect sense about not deleting the OEM filter; I'll keep that one on there too. I do have another question ... the last time I changed the fuel filter I had trouble with the truck starting as it had a difficult time catching a prime. Will a lift pump help the system catch a prime after the block fuel filter is changed?
Technically a lift pump should help. I usually crack the bleeder screw open at the filter head, turn the key on and close it when I don't see air anymore. Since an AirDog or Fass separates air, you could just turn the key in the on position and it should get air out of the system without opening the bleeder, but it is going to take much longer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you again for all of the help. The shop that I'm using only uses AirDog so that's what they will be installing. Although I've owned, built, raced ... high performance muscle cars all of my life (I'll be 50 next month) the diesel stuff is new to me. The first time I changed the fuel filter (my wife and I do ALL of our own maintenance) I had the air intake tube off to gain access to what I was doing and while priming and trying to start it again (it gave me fits doing this) it threw a code and I had to take it to the dealership to get the code cleared. Lesson learned; don't try to start it with the air filter system apart. I'm hoping the AirDog helps with that issue.

Last summer I did my 100,000 mile servicing and changed front and rear differential fluid, transfer case fluid and transmission fluid and filters. Also had the coolant system flushed and even took care of the cabin filter! This has been a great truck but now it's time to start with some small, subtle mods to help reliability and performance.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I've have Seen CP4s W/WO any aftermarket add-ons blow up, if the fuel is contaminate only Auxiliary or Bypass will 100% stop the contamination... NO FCA/FPR or add-on Direct will stop eventual failure.You can add additional filters and filter better to increase the longevity.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts