Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally managed to get the front passenger side inner axle out. Stood under it with a 3# hammer and whaled the sh.. Out of it.
Drivers side won't budge. Is it easier to do it with the diff out on the bench? Or leave it in and try to fit a slide hammer on it? The front diff is being lowered at the same time, so I don't think completely removing it will be a big deal.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
144 Posts
Like you I got my passenger side replaced last fall just fine. I opted to take the truck to the shop for the drivers side after reading how people have had trouble with them and only a few get lucky and the axle pops out. $215 to replace the seal and fluid. I would try a slide hammer before dropping the front diff personally.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm putting the zone 3" diff drop in it, so I just pulled the diff out. Apparently it was beat the piss out of it, or cut the stub shaft. At that point I gladly chose to let it have it.
Probably could've had done it in the truck. Used a chunk of spring steel and 2 bolts to press one side and pounded it with brass punch.
Still had to split the case to get the clip out though😡

·
Registered
144 Posts
10-4!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ended up cracking both flanges on the stub shafts. What bullshit! All to replace $20 seals, $1.50 clips end up causing diff to be dropped, split, and replacing stub shafts.

·
Registered
520 Posts
This is why my seals and extra c clip are still sitting in my toolbox. :cool:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know it, but guess what your time will come. I've put mine off for 2 years and dealt with a bit of oil spray after the first attempt.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well new seals are both leaking😡. Thoughts are its the axle grease used during install, but I know better.

·
Registered
520 Posts
That sucks. I did some reading awhile ago and found a needle bearing kit made by Yukon for the front stubs. Mine have some play so I figured id replace the needle bearings while im in there so the new seals don't get egged out.

·
Premium Member
2019 Chevy K2500 LT CCSB Cajun red tint coat
212 Posts
that damn c-clip.....

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm really hope it's not the needle bearings, I did beat the shit out of the stub shafts though.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ya it could be. I couldn't find alot of info on them. Its Yukon AKgm9.25ifs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.