Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was interested in getting a exhaust system for my 06 CC. I want something that will last for awhile and isnt TOO loud but has some attitude to it. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
133 Posts
i have a mbrp cat back with the muffler, and you cant even tell i put it on. im gonna delete the cat and keep the muffler....ive heard a few like that and they sound good to me...but i was in the same boat you are...i didnt want too loud.

·
Vendor
3,397 Posts
MBRP is the way to go, but the material is up to you. If you plan on keeping the truck for 5 years or less, aluminized will be fine. If you are in it for the long haul, stainless is the way to go as they come with a lifetime warranty. Feel free to give me a holler with any questions you may have or if youd like a quote on a kit.

·
NewEST Spinny Thinggg
4,291 Posts
wow another KY person...I run and aluminized 5" MBRP andit works fine about 1 year on it and no rust just dulls down really good after a little saltn mud...if you have the extra $$$ go for the SS system though...just run the MBRP resonator its mean but lacks the drone of a straight pipe

·
Registered
106 Posts
if you plan on keepig your truck 4 a while i would go with stainless that is what i just picked up. i would also get a turbo back (thats from the downpipe back) and one with a muffler, it is cheaper to get a muffler delete pipe than it is to buy a muffler. The best thing to do is to check around with all the vendors on the site to see who has got the best deal:drink

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just got my truck and I am torn between a 4" or a 5" powder coated black? It also seems that the turbo back is the way to go, but what happens when I need to pass smog, can the cat be put back on easily?

·
Vendor
3,397 Posts
If you get a full system, you will not be able to swap the cat in and out easily. If you want to be able to swap the cat in and out, get a cat back exhaust and the front pipe separately. This setup will maintain the stock slip joint location making the swap possible. If you have any questions, feel free to give me a holler.

·
Banned
24,083 Posts
I agree with tyler. Get a MBRP and DEFINATLY get rid of the CAT. That holds back the most sound and Egt's. If you dont remove the cat its pointless to get a exhaust IMO. Youll be happy. :cool:

·
Registered
962 Posts
MBRP 4" Ss, if you would like a qoute let me know. I am located in IN and shipping is typically 1 day to KY.
X2^

I have the 5" mbrp SS with the "muffler" and it sounds great. Its deep and not too loud but will scream if you really put the hammer down. Some have questioned if the 5" is louder and i dont think it is. It may be a little deeper. Tyler at MPF had mine in Ga in two days.

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you go downpipe back beware of the vvt HISS. Read up on it. That being said my vote is for the MBRP 4" aluminized with the "muffler" downpipe back. Like others have said it is easier and cheaper to buy and install the muffler delete pipe if you want a deeper tone then to buy and put in the muffler if you don't want it so deep. I went with the straight pipe no muffler and should have gotten it with.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
im also looking for exhaust want 4" turbo back system and turbo direct pipe who has the best price

·
Registered
446 Posts
So do people like it better with the muffler or straight piped? I planned on getting the delete pipe for mine. Does it drone, etc. I know the LBZ and LMM aren't as loud.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Stainless is the way to go if you want it to last a long time. I have a aluminized setup my self and up her in MN they use salt like they have over stock and have to get rid of it. My kit has yet to show any signs of rust. My kit with a muffler would be perfect for a mild grunt but not to much.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have not ran a straight pipe on mine before but i have heard guys say that the only real noticable difference is the muffler helps cut down on drone. Its not much of a muffler...you can stick your arm through it almost. the inside diameter is the same as the pipe so its not restrictive but just alters the tone i guess. At least thats the way the mbrp muffler that i have is.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Well after seeing the different ones id go with the AFE stainless 5" id say its the best system i have ever worked with, and their 4" is good as well

·
Registered
812 Posts
What ever way you go replace the down pipe and nix the cat. I had banks cat back and about a mounth ago bought a diamond eye down and frount pipe and wow huge imporvment in spool and sound

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
5 ich str8 only!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.