Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone hooked up a camera to their cts3 without using the $100 adapter cable?

I have a camera with rca output, the cts3 takes mini usb.

Who is buying all these overpriced edge cables?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Has anyone hooked up a camera to their cts3 without using the $100 adapter cable?

I have a camera with rca output, the cts3 takes mini usb.
View attachment 1085133
Who is buying all these overpriced edge cables?
I saw some similar cables on Amazon for a fraction of the cost. I am not sure if they would work but for around $10 I think it would be worth it to try it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip. I tried to install with a few adapters I threw together and it didn’t work. Used RCA to USB, female to female adapter, and USB to mini USB.

I learned the signal needs to be converted from analog to digital. Most of these converters sold online come with software to view videos on a laptop or pc.

I’ll keep doing research but my guess is that the monitor will only recognize the edge converter.

Reactions: ShopSpecialties

·
Registered
759 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I tried to install with a few adapters I threw together and it didn’t work. Used RCA to USB, female to female adapter, and USB to mini USB.

I learned the signal needs to be converted from analog to digital. Most of these converters sold online come with software to view videos on a laptop or pc.

I’ll keep doing research but my guess is that the monitor will only recognize the edge converter.
Here are a couple of convertors I found quickly and several months back I thought found the exact same one somewhere but now I cannot remember. I doubt Edge had something built just for them.
https://www.amazon.com/REDGO-Video-...63768&sprefix=mini+usb+to+rca,aps,225&sr=8-13

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I just ordered one like this. Will follow up.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately only the edge adapter works. (n)

·
Registered
759 Posts
Ok..... so you tried one of those from Amazon ? Do you have the Edge cable on hand to try and identify it ? I am to stubborn to give in just yet. I really want to upgrade to the CTS3 but I do not want to pay $100 for that stupid cable.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I tried the one from Amazon and used a USB adapter. The edge freezes when I go in reverse and I get a black screen when I select camera. (The camera works too, bc I brought a tv out to my car and tested it)

I called customer support and edge says they only test with their products, so they can’t tell me if other adapters will work.

I think these Amazon digital converters have software and the computer installs drivers. They only work for the windows interface.
I bet the cts3 has drivers for their analog/digital adapter pre-installed. I’m holding off on buying it for now.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I figured Edge would say you have to buy their overpriced cable since they are probably only paying like $5 for them. There has to be an easy/affordable way around this. I am going to keep doing research and hopefully I can find someone with the cable so I can look at it in person.

Thank you for trying a couple of things.

Reactions: Elcamino
1 - 9 of 9 Posts