Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So to my surprise the nuts on the EGR came loose with little effort. I installed the EGR blocker and tightened it up. This was much more difficult than getting it loosened up.

So anyway, I have tightened it up as tight as I can get it which i know is tighter than the nuts were before, but it leaks. After I had tightened it i grabbed a spray bottle with soapy water and sprayed it. I'm getting bubbles from the joint. I tightened it more but still have air bubbles when I spray it.

I dont hear the air leaking but obviously it is. should I worry about it or just run it?

Thanks

another thought...

is it possible that the air might be coming from the EGR side? There is gasket between the up pipe and the blocker but not between the blocker and the EGR...would there be air movement on that side?

·
Registered
672 Posts
I can't see how it could hurt anything...

Since the EGR side is the "intake" side I would think it would draw a vacuum if anything. So my thinking is that it is on the firewall (pressure) side.

I also think I read somewhere that the soot will quickly clog those tiny leaks. Especially if they are so small you can't even hear them.
You may also want to give it a while to let all the metal get hot, and expand, contract, etc... That might also help to close any tiny leaks.

If that still doesn't do it, you can try taking it back out and using a little of the copper hi-temp gasket stuff.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't see how it could hurt anything...

Since the EGR side is the "intake" side I would think it would draw a vacuum if anything. So my thinking is that it is on the firewall (pressure) side.

I also think I read somewhere that the soot will quickly clog those tiny leaks. Especially if they are so small you can't even hear them.
You may also want to give it a while to let all the metal get hot, and expand, contract, etc... That might also help to close any tiny leaks.

If that still doesn't do it, you can try taking it back out and using a little of the copper hi-temp gasket stuff.

Very good suggestions. Thank You very much!

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
mine was leaking initially too. i never checked it with a squirt bottle, but the soot all over was a dead give away.

when i did head studs later i of course removed it. it no longer leaks. so i think i just got it tighter the second go around. also a few people have purchased another gasket to put on the intake side of the plate as well

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i need to check it again one of these days. I dont really hear it leaking but I need to spray it again with soapy water and check.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I wouldn't leave it leaking doesn't seem it would be good for business you are loosing drive side pressure on the turbo. Mine leaked also so I unbolted the egr cooler then slid it forward, cleaned up both surfaces and RTVed the crap out of it. I didn't like the idea of a gasket or two in there for changing the angle on the pipes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts