Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the 3" down pipe from MBRP yesterday. First of all I will say that of all the add ons I have done, this was the most aggravating, only because of the danm trans. dip stick tube. It is a pain in the ass to get out of the trans. because it is so long. When reinstalling it I trimmed about an inch off the bottom to make it easier to get back in. That being said, the rest of the install was pretty simple. I wish i would have got my down pipe in before I got the exhaust in, because you have to remove the front pipe to get the down tube out, and with the new Magna Flow exhaust installed, I couldn"t just take out the front pipe.

The pipe is well made and is ceramic coated, so it doesn't need to be wrapped. It is made of heavy guage mandrel bend tubing. The flanges are well made and the turbo flange is a tight fit. It is a very high quality piece.

The main thing I have noticed so far is that the Turbo can be heard alot better, and the exhaust is more "throaty". I haven't taken it out on the open road to see what the MPG improvement will be. So far I have been very happy and impressed with the MPG gains I have gotten so. So now I think I am ready for my Banks IQ and Speed Brake.

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts
I didn't even have to take out the dipstick, I just bend it out of the way a bit.

·
AKA treyfox11
2,250 Posts
^^ x2.

Dont need to remove the dipstick, and you trimed the tube so now it will always read higher than it really is. I also removed my downpipe with my full exhaust on too.
NEGATIVE BRIAN HE ONLY TRIMMED A LITTLE OFF THE END ,NOT THE FLANGE THAT STOPS IT FROM GOING INTO THE RUBBER COULDNT HAVE CHANGED THE READING:neener

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I trimed the tube not the dip stick. For some reason the allison has alot of extra tube that goes down into the pan. I cut it off right below where the slots start in the tube. It still goes in the right amount because the shoulder on the tube stops at the rubber gromment. I tried every thing I could think of to get the down tube out with out removing the trans. tube, but the heat shield was always in the way. Once I got the trans. tube out of the way it was a snap. I just didn't want to have such a fight on my hands while putting it back in. There was no way it was gonna come out with the exhaust in the way, but like I said, it nearly fell out with the trans tube and exhaust out of the way.

·
Vendor
609 Posts
If you pull the heat shield off the stock pipe it does make it a bit easier. Also if you pull the pass side wheelwell out you should be able to slide the downpipe right out w/o pulling the front pipe. Then just drop the MBRP in from the top.

it's one of those mods you wish you would have done in the beginning.

·
Registered
553 Posts
i just removed the downpipe on mine tonight , removed inner fender liner , did everything through the fenderwell, did not removed front pipe , didn;t even get uner the truck. no tommorrow after work i will install the dp , i didn't removed dipstick either just lossen bolts anf lifted up enough to get it out , man so far the hardest part was removing the dp from turbo housing

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
Great info....thanks...

·
Registered
131 Posts
What's the P/N for the MBRP down pipe?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.