Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well wondering if anybody has installed an Air Dog 150 without the straw? If so any adverse affects (1/4 tank dry, pump burning up etc)?

Also anybody have a good picture guide I can use for reference to install?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
637 Posts
Im going to put my A/D2 in this weekend and in the instructions it says you need to drill 2 holes in the basket if you have any low or loss of fuel psi.
cant remember the size off the top of my head ,but Ill find it when I get home.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im going to put my A/D2 in this weekend and in the instructions it says you need to drill 2 holes in the basket if you have any low or loss of fuel psi.
cant remember the size off the top of my head ,but Ill find it when I get home.
Thats interesting, if you could confirm that would be great.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
it is a 1/2" hole about 1.5 inches up from bottum of basket.

·
Vendor
609 Posts
i have my 150 installed w/o the draw tube. Zero problems even on my 225 tune

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You will be fine, the draw straw only gives it the extra fueling capability. So without the drawstraw it's basically a 100 gph set-up.
Thats what I was figuring but needed some reassurance. Thanks all.

·
I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY
2,598 Posts
there is a fitting on the top of the fuel tank correct? so where does the fuel go back in the tank? like the return tube?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
there is a fitting on the top of the fuel tank correct? so where does the fuel go back in the tank? like the return tube?
Fuel goes back through a filler neck piece that returns it right back into the tank... the same tube when you fill your truck up at the gas station.

So installed my AirDog today. Not bad at all. About 6-7 hours total time put into getting it install.

Now I get to find out if my truck will run quieter and better in the coming fill ups.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quick Update:

I believe my AirDog ruined my FPV (Fuel Pressure Valve) or at least showed me how weak mine is. Having some heavy injector pulses (sounds like intermittent pilot injection being turned off and on). Throwing code 0089 Fuel Pressure Regulator Performance.

·
Vendor
609 Posts
Sounds like it just showed you how weak it is. Because you're getting sufficent fuel to the motor now the FPV is not able to hold the increase in pressure. The only reason you see more pressure now is because the engine is getting what it needs for the tune you're running.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like it just showed you how weak it is. Because you're getting sufficent fuel to the motor now the FPV is not able to hold the increase in pressure. The only reason you see more pressure now is because the engine is getting what it needs for the tune you're running.
That sounds logical. Is a newer FPV going to be just fine or could I scavage a used one and believe it'll be ok? Also anybody know the part number for this beast?

·
Registered
17 cclb are 3500.
2,286 Posts
How difficult was the install? I need to get one but am nervous about doing the install myself. I can do brakes and such things as that but leary of the fuel system.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How difficult was the install? I need to get one but am nervous about doing the install myself. I can do brakes and such things as that but leary of the fuel system.
I did my install in my apartments parking lot.

Its very straight forward. Just put aside a whole day so you can really route things well and not have to be pressured into getting it done ASAP.

My only snag was the stuid fuel lines. My fuel line disconnect tool just didn't seem to completely work, but it took some heavy pulling and it worked.

The wiring harness is INCREDIBLY simple. Just plug it in the AD, then wire to a 12V source in your fuse box and hook up to your alternator (all included in the kit).

Also if your worried about dropping your tank get an AirDog 100 or equivalent that doesn't require dropping the tank and installing a draw straw or fuel pickup.

I did my AD 150 without because I simply wanted it on asap. I had to buy 2 fittings thou (Quick Connect Fitting Dorman 800-701 and some adapters to fit to the Dorman because they aren't included with the AD 150, but are in the AD 100)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Quick Update:

I believe my AirDog ruined my FPV (Fuel Pressure Valve) or at least showed me how weak mine is. Having some heavy injector pulses (sounds like intermittent pilot injection being turned off and on). Throwing code 0089 Fuel Pressure Regulator Performance.

Do you have a shim kit installed in FPV? I think that might help your problem.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
That sounds logical. Is a newer FPV going to be just fine or could I scavage a used one and believe it'll be ok? Also anybody know the part number for this beast?
Just a thought here, but before you blame everything on your FPR have you considered that it might be partially in your tuning? Hypertech is very crappy tuning, then stack that with an Edge Juice which is also crappy tuning...

Lets do some math... crappy tuning x crappy tuning = crappy tuning ^2 :rof

Try taking both of your tuners off and making the truck completely stock. I wouldn't be surprised if your issue goes away. If it does, it will stay away with some decent tuning. Otherwise yeah it could very well be the FPR.

But either way, I wouldn't stack those tuners... thats a dangerous recipe.

·
Vendor
609 Posts
I did my install in my apartments parking lot.

Its very straight forward. Just put aside a whole day so you can really route things well and not have to be pressured into getting it done ASAP.

My only snag was the stuid fuel lines. My fuel line disconnect tool just didn't seem to completely work, but it took some heavy pulling and it worked.

The wiring harness is INCREDIBLY simple. Just plug it in the AD, then wire to a 12V source in your fuse box and hook up to your alternator (all included in the kit).

Also if your worried about dropping your tank get an AirDog 100 or equivalent that doesn't require dropping the tank and installing a draw straw or fuel pickup.

I did my AD 150 without because I simply wanted it on asap. I had to buy 2 fittings thou (Quick Connect Fitting Dorman 800-701 and some adapters to fit to the Dorman because they aren't included with the AD 150, but are in the AD 100)
couldn't have said it better myself

1 - 20 of 32 Posts