Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short I purchased an 05' with an engine knock and once torn down it ended up being a pounded out wrist pin bushing. I bought a used set of rods and pistons since the small end of the one rod was done but between the 2 sets (16 rods) I don't have 1, let alone 8 pin bushings that are within spec. That means I will be replacing all the bushings which looks like a fun task.

Before I go and design and make a tool to get them in is there any trick to handle the inward draft on the small end of an LLY rod? Is there a tool out there someone has a picture of that I can copy to get the job done? My assumption is if I try to press them in it will just deflect out and not align with the bore without some sort of guide. Thanks for any help that can be offered.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just stock, otherwise I would just look at new rods. I bought a CTS but it was more for the gauges since I get nervous when I can't monitor a new build. I have no desire to get more power out of it or race it. That's what the car is for. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I always hate coming across thread that don't have solutions so here is what I did in case anyone else finds themselves in the same situation. It worked quite well. I found I had to make another piece for pressing them out since the ID of the old bushings is about .015" larger than the new ones so I needed a new tool that fit tighter. Also after pressing out the old bushings I hit the edge with a sanding cartridge to take the lip off otherwise it would shaft the new bushing as it went in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts