Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 gmc with the lbz and I was wondering what a good cold air intake would be and what a good tuner would be I already have the pyro and boost gauges installed?

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Intake

The best thing for your truck is to Modify your stock air intake box and you don't need to spend money go to our ppediesel.com and go product manual you can see the instuctions for the modification of air intake. In terms of program it depends on what application, if you are towing, racing or everyday driving.

[email protected]

·
Registered
192 Posts
The best thing for your truck is to Modify your stock air intake box and you don't need to spend money go to our ppediesel.com and go product manual you can see the instuctions for the modification of air intake. In terms of program it depends on what application, if you are towing, racing or everyday driving.

[email protected]
oh good. Please explain what this modification accomplishes. I would prefer some type of hard data, to qualify any statements.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i did a PPE tuner on my LBZ along with a exhaust and gained roughly 2mpg and then here about 2k miles ago i did the PPE CAI mod and gained another 1 to 2 mpg so it is worth it..the best programmer for the buck is the Diablo or Hypertech but the best is the PPE or EFI Live..

·
Registered
192 Posts
i did a PPE tuner on my LBZ along with a exhaust and gained roughly 2mpg and then here about 2k miles ago i did the PPE CAI mod and gained another 1 to 2 mpg so it is worth it..the best programmer for the buck is the Diablo or Hypertech but the best is the PPE or EFI Live..
so with just few more mods, you will be into the 30's

do you really expect people to believe that GM left 2 mpg on the table, in restrictive redesign of the intake?

This is total BS, and i have nothing to gain by stating so.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It was based on actual experience ...

My question refers to the intake hack. you wrote down numbers to verify this? Maybe a spreadsheet of actual economy calculations at a minimum? And then of course, you verified some rationalle for this revelational and startling benefit, by placing pressure sensors all over the intake? And this verified the copious amounts of restriction freed up by the excess plastic removal?

You are not talking to a bunch of idiots here!

I cannot believe the "swiss cheese" generation still exists.

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
I beleive a intake makes a difference @ a given power level maybe @ <400 rwhp it makes no difference but @ >400 there is something there to be had with either modding the stocker or adding a aftermarket. Also if your going to want to turn more than the factory 3250 rpms it should help even more!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I agree that restrictions can be exploited for improvement. In this case, so far there is no such substantive data. It is a cfm vs resistance to flow issue.

In my experience, the intake box itself has 20% of the total intake resistance to flow. 90% of that (20%) comes from the element, naturally restrictive because it is tasked with filtration. That leaves an infinitesmally small area of improvement potential to the box itself.

That was true of the 1st and 2nd gen boxes as well.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
TravelswithCharly,that was my experience so if you don't like it well you'll just have to deal with it..
also some of us guys are a tadd bit poorer then some of theys guys that buy new CAI so we make do with what we can and our wallets allow us to..poor mans got poor ways.

·
Registered
192 Posts
A performance difference doesn't have to cost a lot of money. Some of the best modifications are funded on Home Depot budgets.

This one is bogus. You can say it all day long, somebody has to step up and call BS.

After 4 pms with PPE, still there is no evidence of improvement. Its a simple story. If anyone has the nads to prove me wrong, I'm all humility. This is a simple discussion on whether a no cost modification to hack pieces out of an intake makes ANY difference to performane or economy.

I have 2 06 intakes sitting here, one of them with the hack modification that was pulled after exactly zero observed benefits were noted.

In an industry where economy is extremely important, and measured improvements are accounted for in 1/10 mpg intervals, anybody would be extremely foolish to not question what has been claimed here.

edit: if I am being harsh, it is only because these claims are not uncommon. My biggest beef is how the aftermarket industry is scamming its customers on a continuous basis, though that has nothing to do with PPE, I'm not making any connection there. I have no bias for or against PPE. In fact i have looked at PPE's tunes, and find them to be very good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts