Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put the new twins on last weekend :drink but i haven't got around to upgrading the tube so obviously I'm not able to realize their full potintial. I am wondering if the stock intercooler would be enough with a new tube or if I should go ahead and do a full tube/intercooler upgrade. The second turbo is a high volume/low pressure turbo so obviosly the additional 25-35% increase in volume in the banks tecni-cooler would be helpful. However if i don't need to spend the extra $700 I won't. Any help is appreciated

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
The stock intercooler actually flows pretty well. You will see an increase from the Banks one, but plenty of people have made VERY impressive numbers without it. I'd say start with the hot side boost tube first and see what you think. If you still feel like it didn't give you enough benefit, then maybe drop the money for the intercooler. But you'd just as well start small.

Let me know if I can help!

-Jesse

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what i was wondering. However, on level 7, i still peak above 1400 pretty easy. The twins dropped my egt's about 400 degrees but still have trouble keeping cool on the hottest level (which was inaccesible before). But,then again, i dont turn it up that often. thanks

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
The boost tube by itself will get you a drop in EGT's. The intercooler will probably get you a bigger drop, but it's also a lot more expensive too. Thats why I'd say start small and see if it gives you enough improvement. If not, then the intercooler is one way you can go for additional EGT reductions.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again for the help, thats what i wanted to hear.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
...The twins dropped my egt's about 400 degrees but still have trouble keeping cool on the hottest level (which was inaccesible before). But,then again, i dont turn it up that often. thanks
If you have a competent compound setup, then you need a larger intercooler. As you exceed 70 lb/min, the stock intercooler is highly restrictive. If you precool charge air, with WMI, or nitrous, you can lower the restriction, which is largely a function of tube velocity.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really don't want to go with water/meth if I can avoid it with other bolt ons. As far as the compound setup, I bought it from industrial injection. I haven't heard any other feedback from this system good or bad but it seems to work well. I know everybody is gung-ho efi live and I'm statring to considering it with the DSP5, but I can't do all this at once because i am in the process of buying a house. I would think that the intercooler would be first then the efi. Keep in mind my internals, injectors, and cp3 are stock. Thanks for the help. Its always cheaper to ask first

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
You're right. Advice is free! Feel free to ask anytime you have questions.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again; i've had the tube on the way so i'll start there. As far as the EFI live, what is my best option? I want the custom tuning but not sure of a reputable competent tuner in my area. (woodlawn, tn 40 mi. from nashville) I was looking at duramaxtuner.com last night and they had a truck with my twin setup but is it a good idea to have a tune built without adjusting it on the truck?

·
DuramaxForum Veteran
4,506 Posts
IdahoRob has a ton of experience tuning trucks like yours. His is an LBZ with twins as well.

He can get you setup with some good tunes and give you advice on how to tune. From there you can adjust them and work with him, to get them to suit your needs and your truck and eventually you might even start to understand EFI Live.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I see alot of people running his tunes with great sucess so when i'm ready thats the way I'll go. Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
You should chat with "Six-Gun-Todd" on the forum here. he's got the II twins on his LMM, thats his truck in the video on duramaxtuner's website. He could probably give you some good insight on the in's and out's of the kit and some good advice as far as tuning.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is the response i was looking for. If i can find somone running the same mods i won't feel unconfortable with getting efi live tunes over the computer. Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Todd has a LOT of money into his truck, but he started where you are, so he'll be able to give you some good advice.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good deal; I'll try to get a hold of him. Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts