Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys been lurking around and searching through the forum and checking out people's posts about their duraburbs and have been able to answer some questions but still have a couple unanswered hope you guys can answer them.

Upfront I'm gonna say I'm still new to Duramax specifically but familiar with diesels. I use to own a F350 6.0 and wanting to switch over.

I'm torn as I wanted to go with the LMM or even LML motor for the higher power handling capabilities but I like the older body 2005-2006 Suburban and had seen some things hinting towards that do to protocols and communication issues between all modules this may not be able to be done? Is this true or is there some modification or something done to make the newer engine work in older truck?

Or to make it easier maybe cheaper can a LBZ motor be built internally to hold power reliably?

I seen talks about having to do a body lift? Is this true, if so can some please give details to how much and reasoning? Pretty sure I know why but just want to make sure and not assume anything.

Where are some good places to search for donor trucks and or engines/ trans?

Thank you in advance for any and all advice and input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Will try to answer some of your questions but I am no expert.

I had Duraburb build a suburban for me last fall. They did a great job and I am very happy with it.....Love it!

I think it's a great idea and you should continue to research and make it happen.

I originally wanted they body style you are talking about....but as time went on and I researched more and more time went on....I decided to go w the next gen body and the LMM. I am very happy I did so.

From what I understand...most builders and people try to install the engine appropriate w that year bodystyle....and I am not certain if it has do w the wiring and computer already in place so it will mate up and be able to communicate or not.

My suburban is lifted...they lift it a little and level it to that but I went w a 3 inch lift. That being said....I know some people want an OEM appearance or totally stealth so I feel like once the engine and driveline is installed they are lowered again to a factory like look.

I think there are a lot of nice trucks out there that have been in a light hit and can be found at auctions and insurance sales.

Go for it.....you will love it. :wink2:

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Welcome.

I have a 2015 Chevy 2500- HD Duramax. Love it...

I had a 2500 Avalanche. 8.1 and it was a great vehicle- has the same chassis as 2500 Suburban.

The cost of a duramax swap is so much i think you are better off finding an 8.1 2500 and tuning it. You will have close to 500 ft lbs. of torque and a great motor.

But if you must do the swap you need a 2 inch lift to clear the Alllison in the trans tunnel. Wiring is a bear too....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will try to answer some of your questions but I am no expert.

I had Duraburb build a suburban for me last fall. They did a great job and I am very happy with it.....Love it!

I think it's a great idea and you should continue to research and make it happen.

I originally wanted they body style you are talking about....but as time went on and I researched more and more time went on....I decided to go w the next gen body and the LMM. I am very happy I did so.

From what I understand...most builders and people try to install the engine appropriate w that year bodystyle....and I am not certain if it has do w the wiring and computer already in place so it will mate up and be able to communicate or not.

My suburban is lifted...they lift it a little and level it to that but I went w a 3 inch lift. That being said....I know some people want an OEM appearance or totally stealth so I feel like once the engine and driveline is installed they are lowered again to a factory like look.

I think there are a lot of nice trucks out there that have been in a light hit and can be found at auctions and insurance sales.

Go for it.....you will love it. :wink2:

I remember seeing your original post about inquiring about doing a Duraburb also.

In regards to the body lift concern from the little I have seen it seems like the older body's you have to do atleast a 2" body lift but the newer body 2500 you may not have to as I think there is more room but that is why I'm asking cause I dont want to assume.

I'm definitely pretty set on doing this and will be doing it myself for the most part probably maybe get some help from a friend of mine that owns a Duramax shop near by as he's itching for a build.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome.

I have a 2015 Chevy 2500- HD Duramax. Love it...

I had a 2500 Avalanche. 8.1 and it was a great vehicle- has the same chassis as 2500 Suburban.

The cost of a duramax swap is so much i think you are better off finding an 8.1 2500 and tuning it. You will have close to 500 ft lbs. of torque and a great motor.

But if you must do the swap you need a 2 inch lift to clear the Alllison in the trans tunnel. Wiring is a bear too....

I appreciate your input but gas motor isn't an option for me and when I say it isn't an option I say that cause I'm not letting it be an option. I'm a diesel enthusiast. Plus gas engine will get shit fuel mileage.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Ok what's your question.

You need a donor truck- junkyard. Similar vintages Suburban and Duramax.

Avalon

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would call Eric at Duraburb and pick his brain. He is a super nice guy and would give you some tips. There is another guy in Virginia....up near Charlottesville I wanna say....that may have had his family build one for him. I can try to dig up both numbers if you want to call/text these people. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would call Eric at Duraburb and pick his brain. He is a super nice guy and would give you some tips. There is another guy in Virginia....up near Charlottesville I wanna say....that may have had his family build one for him. I can try to dig up both numbers if you want to call/text these people. :)

I thought about calling Eric at Duraburb but didn't know if I wanted to bother him given the fact I'll being doing the work myself vs having him doing the work.

Im not far from Charlottesville. It would be nice to have someone to pick their brain a bit.

·
Super Moderator
1,165 Posts
Yea but I don't he has been active in the last few years

He was last online two months ago. Unless he has it set up otherwise, he should receive an email notification if you PM him.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I will get Duraburb's number and the other guy in Charlottesville for you...wanna say his name is Bill

·
I'm That Guy...
16,689 Posts
I would stick with an LBZ if you are getting an 06 or older Suburban, you can be emissions legal a lot easier. I would recommend having the engine be the same year or newer for compliance if you move to a state that is emissions specific or try to sell it to someone in a state emissions specific.

You could always get the engine built later if you need to hold more HP.

·
Registered
30 Posts
WJR. Look up MAXDOUT DIESEL Randy Showalter in Mt. Solon, VA he will do the conversion for you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I plan on doing the conversion myself just had a few questions to start finalizing build plans

1 - 20 of 27 Posts