Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 08 chevy 2500hd duramax Ltz .. My interior is very noisy and getting on my nerves.. When I hit any small bumps in the road or turn into a parking lot where the cab flexes a little the interior makes a crackle and creaking noise it sounds like its the plastic pieces on the pillars or the leather seats on something... Need some help.. Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think thats just the nature of the beast!! lol I have a 2010 and its the same way. Rattles like crazy at idle. I found one of the rattles was coming from under the steering column. It was the metal shield that is behind the panel right where your knees are. I drilled out the little plastic pieces and removed the shield. That got rid of that noise but I still have one coming from behind the steering column and also from the drivers door panel. Just have to find time to tear into it and try and find those rattles as well!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I think thats just the nature of the beast!! lol I have a 2010 and its the same way. Rattles like crazy at idle. I found one of the rattles was coming from under the steering column. It was the metal shield that is behind the panel right where your knees are. I drilled out the little plastic pieces and removed the shield. That got rid of that noise but I still have one coming from behind the steering column and also from the drivers door panel. Just have to find time to tear into it and try and find those rattles as well!
I do not intend to bash you at all, so dont take it that way. As you can see I do not have an LMM so I cant say anything from experince. My lb7 is very quiet in cab at idle.. Anyways, I could understand "the nature of the beast" being a rattle here an there on a $15,000 truck with 200k.. There is no reason a $60,000 (+/-) should have random interior rattles because of poor design. I know if I paid that much for a truck that rattled inside i'd be highly upset. especially with my pet peeve of small sounds that no one else ever seems to hear... Good luck to the OP:thumb

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
IMO these NBS trucks have lots of interior rattles. I say it wouldnt be a GM if it didnt have some kind of interior rattles. Common on the dash & lower parts of the dash. Another common rattle area are from the door panels. Iv just started hear this odd back seat rattle when going over bumps. I was able to fix most of my dash rattles & started on the lower area of the dash (below the steering column)

·
Registered
35 Posts
No I think your right on the money. I am actually very disappointed in this part of my truck and really wish It didn't do this. But In my opinion, there's no perfect truck out there. They're all going to have their small downfalls (and some large... ehh um..6.0l ford.) here and there. It just depends what your willing to compromise on. For myself at least I love my truck and wouldn't get rid of it because of a rattle. But it is embarrassing when your buddies jump in your truck and it sounds like my interior is going to fall apart.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
You are exactly right, there is no perect truck. Interior rattles or not, even my 02 with 133k on still rides very good for a 3/4 ton truck.. My dodge on the other hand rode like a broomstick

·
Registered
5 Posts
At low speeds and the cab is flexing my 07 NBS sound like popcorn. It's really irritating. I'm going to try 3M squeak reduction tape (PN 06356) when I have a spare $20 and a few hours to tear apart the interior. Poor design and or cost cutting gone wild.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My 09 will "crack" when the cab flexes if I turn into a parkinglot or up a hill. Has done it since the day it was new and still cant figure it out either :cookoo[1]:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Idk if its just the Ltz package or what but it sounds like crap I bought it with 65k miles it doesn't have a dent in it.. It's quiet at a idle or driving down the hi way .. The noise doesn't sound like its coming from the dash or door panels but its possible.. It's not one little noise either it's like the whole interrior is making noise..

·
Registered
36 Posts
some reason mine does it when its cold and if high idle is on and the roads in the greater cincinnati area dont help any.

·
Registered
39 Posts
this thread is funny to me because I just bought an 08 LTZ ( 83,000 miles / pic in my avatar) and it has so many more sounds and rattles (from the front and the back) than my 05 with 249,000+ miles.
I'll sub. to this thread for some tips for sure.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Unfortunately, I think it is the "nature of the beast." I'm on my second LMM and both have cab noises like this guy is describing. My first duramax, 03 GMC LB7 did not have that cab noise, but these last two had the cab noise.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
the rattles that come from the dash or console I can't help.

the squeak or pop a snap sounds from the cab flexing is most likely from the rubber seal around the door where it contacts the cab. as this moves slightly against eachother it will sound like what you're hearing, esp. in an extended cab.

what stopped it for me was some dry silicone lube on the seal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@rhogue432, what is the model year of your truck?

Michelle, GM Customer Service
It's a 2008 Chevrolet 2500hd lmm with the Ltz package it does have the sliding rear window also but that doesn't seem to be the problem though the seals on the sliding groove keep falling out.. Every time I drive this thing the sounds drive me up the wall... I was listening to it again last night.. It really sounds like its coming from the head liner or pillars ...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the rattles that come from the dash or console I can't help.

the squeak or pop a snap sounds from the cab flexing is most likely from the rubber seal around the door where it contacts the cab. as this moves slightly against eachother it will sound like what you're hearing, esp. in an extended cab.

what stopped it for me was some dry silicone lube on the seal.
The sounds your describing sound accurate and I know it's not coming from my dash and this sound is not a rattle... It sounds almost exactly like when your wood floor in a old house cracks and creeks when you walk on it.. Your saying its the door seals? Do I need to replace them or what?

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
The sounds your describing sound accurate and I know it's not coming from my dash and this sound is not a rattle... It sounds almost exactly like when your wood floor in a old house cracks and creeks when you walk on it.. Your saying its the door seals? Do I need to replace them or what?
don't have to replace 'em. just get them clean and put some DRY silicone lube on them. don't over apply. and make sure it's the dry stuff. otherwise the seals just attract dust.

I think the sound comes from when the seal is up tight against the surface then wants to move but can't because it is somewhat sticky, then when it does let go and move or slide it gives a squeak or pop sound.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dude your the man thats what it was! im gonna try a different kind of lube though it stopped it for a while then i heard it starting to come back but thanks man that was defiantly it.... did you use the stuff in the rattle can or is that the only way they make it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
don't have to replace 'em. just get them clean and put some DRY silicone lube on them. don't over apply. and make sure it's the dry stuff. otherwise the seals just attract dust.

I think the sound comes from when the seal is up tight against the surface then wants to move but can't because it is somewhat sticky, then when it does let go and move or slide it gives a squeak or pop sound.
Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
dude your the man thats what it was! im gonna try a different kind of lube though it stopped it for a while then i heard it starting to come back but thanks man that was defiantly it.... did you use the stuff in the rattle can or is that the only way they make it?
glad I could help. been receiving so many good tips/help on here, it's nice to give something back.

the stuff I got was powder like, talcum powder. it came in a squeeze bottle like chalkline chalk. just squeeze it out the tip on a rag and apply. it gets kinda messy if you're not careful.
mine came from an old farmer friend, no idea where he got it. it's almost gone now so gonna have to find more somewhere. just don't wanna use something that will attract dust.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts