Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Figured since I had to replace mine to day might as well take pics and do a little write up.

Intermediate Shaft Replacement Instructions

First start by parking the vehicle with the wheels pointed straight ahead. At this point you can lock the steering wheel "with a rope or something" to keep it from rotating. I do not do this, but it would not hurt.
Next gather the tools required to do the job

· 15mm wrench
· 25mm socket with extension
· 10mm wrench
· Flat blade screwdriver

First I removed the driver’s side inner fender. I pulled the inner fender for ease of pics.

Next you will see the bolt as pictured below. With a 15mm wrench on the backside holding the bolt remove the nut with the 15mm socket. Now you can pull the bolt out and set them aside.

Next you need to get the bolt from inside the cab “under the dash, behind the brake pedal”. Be very careful not to allow the steering wheel to rotate as if it does too much it can break the Cloaking Spring for the Airbag system. In the pic below you will see the location of the nut that needs to be removed. Next remove the bolt, and set the two aside.

Now you can pull the old shaft out from outside of the cab.

Insert the new shaft through the hole in the firewall. From under the dash you can grab the new shaft and slide it into the steering shaft. Now you can reinstall the 15mm bolt and nut. Now you need to tighten the nut down, and go back under the wheel well and tight the lower nut.

Since I had the inner fender off it is a good time to check your lower CAC tube to make sure it has not been rubbing on the power steering line. As you can see from the picture below it is tight clearance. Since there was no holes, I reinstalled the inner fender and enjoy the smooth quite steering that the old shaft was lacking.

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
Thanks Jim!!!

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problem. Just figured as easy as it is to do, no point in paying the Stealership's high prices when you can DIY:drink

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Looks good...

SO where did you get the intermediate steering shaft? I was thinking about trying the RTV thing with mine, but if i can get one for a good price, i will just change mine out too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have changed a bunch of these shafts, I use the oem gm part. They have recently updated these.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Thanks for this write-up. Just did mine tonight. What a PITA..

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Just a caution for all-- be sure to run the seat belt through the steering wheel before disconnecting the shaft. If the steering wheel is rotated while disconnected, it can damage the $$$$ "Clock Spring". That controls the air bag and steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Sub'd

·
Registered
599 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Why buy a new one? I drilled a hole in mine and installed a grease zerk. Pump it full of grease twice a year and it's quiet.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Where you drill and pump???

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
PITA, really it looks pretty straight forward... Am I missing something, was gonna tackle it this weekend.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
The worse part was installing the new one. The end was so crimped down It didn't want to slide o to the steering box. Had to beat the hell out of it.

Best part? It still rattles a little...

·
Registered
393 Posts
Where you drill and pump???
Buddy of mine filled his with all weather clear silicone sealant. It worked like a charm to get rid of the rattle. He basically squirted it in where the two halfs meet.

I need to do something with mine and will probably try this route.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The worse part was installing the new one. The end was so crimped down It didn't want to slide o to the steering box. Had to beat the hell out of it.

Best part? It still rattles a little...

mine too. felt great for a couple drives, but now i can feel the rattle again... may have to pull it back out and try some grease or silicone.

·
Registered
945 Posts
After replacing mine I had a rattle it drove me nuts. It wasn't the shaft rattling. At the bottom of the steering column tube is a plastic bearing/bushing that was rattling. Take a 2 inch hose clamp open it up and put over the tube so that it's 1/2 on the tube and 1/2 on the plastic and tighten it up.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've got the muffler clamp on my bearing also. Helps, but every now and then it slips off and I have to go down there and fasten it back up. It's way better than the banging it used to have, but still not perfect.

As for the shaft, Here are a few pics of drilling a hole, placing a zerk in and covering the hole at the end of the shaft with silicone. The silicone stops the grease from running out of the shaft. Hope this helps you guys.

Important note...Don't let your steering wheel move when the shaft is removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
took a closer look at mine this weekend and can definitely feel play in the lower part of the column. ordered a new steering shaft bearing today off RockAuto, i'll report back after i get it installed.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts