Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am having a strange problem with my 01 duramax. Once in a while the engine will deside to run like it is heavily advanced. Loud rattly excelleration, power seems to be a bit off. Shutting off the truck and restarting fixes it. My dealer has been no help and the truck is showing no codes. I am a heavy duty mechanic and if I was working on a non electronic engine I would be looking for an out of time problem or loose injector pump. Anyone had this problem before? Any ideas would be great. Truck has banks exhaust and edge package.

Thanks

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
the edge could be making it sound louder. does it happen when the engine is at full operating temp? Does it only happen around a certain RPM like 2200 RPMs? If it is there in the RPM band, it is probably pilot injection transition. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A little more info on my problem duramax. There is no specific condition that sets this heavy rattle off. It can be idling in the yard or in an 1800rpm cruise. As shutting it off and restarting usually corrects the problem I'm thinking possibly a sensor of some sort? Would a crank position sensor problem generate timing issues but still allow the engine to run?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am a 6 hour ferry ride and a two hour drive from my nearest dealer. If anyone has encountered this problem please let me know. Would save me a ton of time and money. Thanks all for the posts so far.

Hellfire

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
Seriously i would start buy unpluging the edge box for a while and see if the problem goes away first. a bad edge box can do some weird stuff!!!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Would a crank position sensor problem generate timing issues but still allow the engine to run?
I would say no. But not having a big diesel background, I couldn't tell you for sure. In a gas GM car, the crank sensor can fail and the vehicle will stay running without missing a beat. It is when you shut it off that all h3ll breaks loose...or rather doesn't...because the engine will crank and not fire. I suppose you can pull the sensor and make sure there are no cracks or anything else funny, but normally it wouldn't allow the vehicle to just re-fire. I would start with pulling the Edge box too. I have noticed that colder temps and my edge box resulted in more noise...along with the switch to ULSD fuel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Knocking

I had an '02 Duramax that did the same thing. This was an issue that was brought up to Chevy and they said it was some kind of benign thing with trapped gasses I think. (sounds like crap to me) It ususally happened more when the truck was cold and it led me to think it was just oil that didn't get into the heads right away casing the clattering. it was ususally on one side. All other systems were ok on this truck. I ran a chip on it too but I heard from others who had this problem w/o running a chip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts