Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Just bought two interstates for my '16 duramax denali and am having one hell of a time shoe horning the drivers side battery in. I just cant get the right angle without hitting up against one thing or another. I measured the battery and its about an inch loger than stock but the catalog said that was the correct battery for my truck. What gives? Do I need to remove the module thats sitting next to it or am I missing something?

Premium Member
I just cant get the right angle without hitting up against one thing or another. I measured the battery and its about an inch loger than stock but the catalog said that was the correct battery for my truck.
What group size is your new one?

Probably a 94R (12-7/16L) instead of a 48 (11"L).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah its a H7(94R). Is this the wrong battery because the catalog only had this battery listed for my year and engine type.

Premium Member
because the catalog only
whose catalog?
What's the source/parts store?

The 'right' one is the one with enough CCAs and starts when ya want. :teehee
It's not uncommon to see two different groups available from various sources.
The Irish show the 94r and 48, NAPA-only the 48 is listed.

Their Legend Premium is an East-Penn made batt....good stuff.

Premium Member
See if they have the 48 in stock and will swap 'em out.
Their fault on wrong data for it to fit.
Unless you measure the tray and verify the extra length will fit....if you remove the ECM for access.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I managed to get the passenger side in with a little massaging and it fits sitting in the tray. I dont really see a problem with the driver side except for about half inch clearance stuffing it in there. Is that the ECM that is right next to it causing my clearance issue? It has some sort of plastic cage around it and thats what is in the way. No visible bolts or tabs that I can see to move it out of the way.

Premium Member
Not exactly sure on your LML, but with all other models, both the TCM & ECM are there, TCM on the Rad, ECM more on the fender liner.

I did note on some sites, stating the Driver's side was a difficult install, suggested using a pro. :teehee

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ha...Im not pro enough I guess. Been building engines and racing cars since I was 14 but then again, that was old school stuff. lol. Thanks for the input!

Registered
What does the note 鈥2鈥 have to say about it. It might only fit with certain options.

Registered
Local Costco store and their Interstate catalog in the battery rack.
Costco is doing away with the batteries at many of their stores. Mine has been without it for quite sometime. They initially moved it to the tire center, then got rid of it.

As already stated, as of this past year NAPA batteries are now built by East Penn (DEKA) and they are some of the best out there.

Things made by Johnson Controls (including Optima) seem to have taken a down turn quality and longevity wise, likely since they closed a big production plant here in Colorado and moved down to Mexico.

Registered
Costco is doing away with the batteries at many of their stores. Mine has been without it for quite sometime. They initially moved it to the tire center, then got rid of it.
Yep, Ours is headed that direction as well. They punched a hole in the wall into the tire center and moved the batteries over to there. I was able get the divers one in that night. It was the ecm that was in the way. The best way to move it was take it out of the guard clips and then wedge the battery in between the plastic of the guard. Not the cleanest way to get it in there but it got me on the road again. Thanks for the help everyone!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts