Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, been wondering this for a while just never got around to posting it.

Does GM have a cable that directly links the Ipod into the OEM radio unit or do I have to run FM transmitters of the sort?

I loved having headunits with the hookups so I could control and charge the Ipod through the cars radio and really miss it lol

Thanks guys!

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i'm not sure if a ipod will hook up with the oem stereo..it would probalily be alot easier just running the FM transmitter..i had a aftermarket Dual head unit put in my 05 chevy and it had all the ipod wiring with it...

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
James... come on bro the FM transmitter SUCKS!! i have a Peripheral iPod adapter and i can still use XM, OnStar, Am/FM and 6 disk in dash changer. They are about 150 at Best Buy or from Crutchfield. Peripheral iPod Adapter its pretty sweet. it is a 100% digital connection and it is CD quality sound (for real) you can change tracks off your steering wheel, head unit its self, or the iPOd directly. it was a quick install, PM me for more info.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
James... come on bro the FM transmitter SUCKS!! i have a Peripheral iPod adapter and i can still use XM, OnStar, Am/FM and 6 disk in dash changer. They are about 150 at Best Buy or from Crutchfield. Peripheral iPod Adapter its pretty sweet. it is a 100% digital connection and it is CD quality sound (for real) you can change tracks off your steering wheel, head unit its self, or the iPOd directly. it was a quick install, PM me for more info.
sorry i didn't have a clue such thing exsisted...

·
Registered
57 Posts
yea i had no clue that existed either , thanks for the info... I wonder why GM didnt put that AUX plug in the stereo, heck I traded in a 06 saturn and it :drink cost 1/3 of my truck and it had the AUX plug, man that was nice! oh well

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
its all goood bro, just giving you a hard time. whats up??
nothing much...it's to darn cold for OH in april,we even had a couple inches of snow on easter...i guess i'll have to try one of those ipod hookups for my 06 gmc...

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
the USA spec is a good unit too. they are about the same, i just know the Preferial works. and you keep everything. i might be mistaken, but i think the USAspec takes your XM out. not sure about this tho.

·
Registered
262 Posts
where do you buy this thing at besides bestbuy

·
Registered
111 Posts
bnkrupt, I hope this thing don't effect my Onstar & stuff. I just ordered the Crutchfield Peripheral you suggested. The Bilkin FM transmitter is garbage. If you live in the Boonies, where there is not alot of FM stations, maybe its OK. But in Richmond Va, it is squat. Lots of interference. Plus, with the FM transmitter, you lose volume level, compared to playing a CD or the radio. I'll give ya'll an update after I "Git-ER-in".

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
My 08 has an input for external MP3 player

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
I had one of those adapters from Crutchfield and it gave me lot's of problems. I hope yours works well. I took mine out and sent it back to Crutchfield and got a new head unit for only about 140 dollars more. My Pioneer does all that ipod stuff plus bluetooth phone and streaming music. It also does HD radio if you add the HD tuner. That's for Christmas.....

·
Legennn... wait for it...
1,833 Posts
Does your head unit have the tape deck with it? Mine does, so I go old school with it. I use the cassette adapter for an old CD Walkman plugged into the headphone jack on my MP3 player. Functional, and inexpensive, though sometimes it doesn't line up right and only plays out one side of the speakers.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
no not the onstar. it still works but you do lose your satellite radio. unless the head has one built in. like mine would be about 100 bucks to add sat radio to it. And dude, tapes? LOL sorry but i've moved on. I'm old as hell but I don't cling to aging crap like tapes. No offense.

·
Registered
110 Posts
no not the onstar. it still works but you do lose your satellite radio. unless the head has one built in. like mine would be about 100 bucks to add sat radio to it. And dude, tapes? LOL sorry but i've moved on. I'm old as hell but I don't cling to aging crap like tapes. No offense.

Thats funny as hell..:rof

1 - 20 of 28 Posts